Probably broken boot drive - Need some advice.

Ceetan

Contributor
Hello all! It’s been a while since I said foot on these forums, mostly because everything has been working well up to now. However while I was away on vacation, my poor little Server seems to have encountered some problems. Judging from what I can read from other friends it seems that the boot Drive, or the sata cable to it, has died.

Code:
Solaris: WARNING: Pool ´freenas-boot´ has encountered an uncorrectable I/O failure and has been suspended.
xptioctl: pass driver is not in the kernel
xptioctl: put "device pass" in your kernel config file 

Now on the downside, I haven’t been smart enough to have a proper back up or a back up of the config file. Shame on me I guess. On the upside, I have managed to recover most critical data. there is some "nice to have" data they did that I don’t really know about, but I can do without it in worst case scenario.

Interestingly enough though, the data pool seems to be mostly fine, since my Nextcloud jail is still working. I even managed to recover all the data from Nextcloud in addition to the critical data. As I understand if this is the case, they can potentially be recovered?

My question is the following: is it more or less safe to turn the system off, with the understanding that I will probably lose access to Nextcloud as the device probably won’t be able to boot? At the moment I can’t access either the gui or SSH, The only access to systems that I have are via IPMI and next cloud. Is it safe for the Data drives to power system down via IPMI?

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
Yes, it's safe to turn it off. Export your pool first.

Make a new boot drive and reboot.

I haven’t been smart enough to have a proper back up or a back up of the config file.

Look at post #8 in https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/network-wont-configure.103065/#post-709323 which gives you a method to recover your config from the sytem's automatic back of it.

Follow that process, then reboot with your new-old configuration file, - then Import your pool.

Ceetan

Contributor
@Redcoat Thank you ! How do I export my pool when I Cannot access the terminal or the GUI? I added some error messages that forgot to post. Would you say that my assessment is likely to be correct ?

Redcoat

MVP
Ah, you didn't say that you didn't have access. So, no, you can't export your pool in the current situation. Have to deal with any import difficulties when they are experienced once you are up and running again.