Pool Offline from Degradated state after a (probably wrong) disk replacement

Fabbat

Dabbler
Dear All, I've searched in several posts but I didn't find any clear answer to solve my critical situation. I think my skills are very poor in this matter.
I have 4 disks in my single Pool. One of those (ID#4) was failed, so the status of my Pool changed from Online in Degradated, which means I can see the files via SMB for example but no plugins runs.
disks.PNG

I decided to replace the failed disk, I bought the same 2T WD Red disk, but reading probably wrong a guide to replace, before disconnect the failed disk, I put the failed disk in offline mode using the option in the Disks -> Manual Test -> Offline.

disk-offline.PNG

I replaced phisically the disk with the new one and it is listed in the disks list but the Pool is in Offline status. I really worry to do anything can comrpomise my data, so I stopped my trials to fix the situation.

pool-offline.PNG

I kindly ask your help to recover, if possible the situation. Any help will be very appriciaited

Alecmascot

Guru
The EFAX drives you have in your NAS are not suitable for ZFS as they are SMR, and should be replaced.
They are probably the cause of your problems.

Fabbat

Dabbler
The EFAX drives you have in your NAS are not suitable for ZFS as they are SMR, and should be replaced. They are probably the cause of your problems.

Thanks for your answer. It worked very well for Years but I will consider your suggestion. In any way, I need to bring on the pool ti access data for any improvements. Any suggestion about that? Can I create a new pool and import disks? Will i risk to lose data? Thanks for any suggestions

Alecmascot

Guru
Pool creation deletes existing data so you cannot do that.
Try to import the pool, first through the GUI then if that fails via the CLI.
Search the forum for "cannot import pool". You should find lots.

Fabbat

Dabbler
in the GUI I don't have any pool to import, using CLI this is what I get for "zpool import":

zpoll import.PNG

Is there any way to recover data?
If I disconnect disks, and I buy a new one where I will create a new pool, then I connect the actual disks, could be able to import disks?
Thanks

Alecmascot

Guru
Can you post the FULL hardware spec of your system please.
What drivers are currently installed ?
You need to get at least 1 of the original drives online in mirror-1 to have any change or recovery.

Fabbat

Dabbler
My configuration is:

CPU: AMD AM1 Athlon 5350
MB: ASRock Mod AMD AM1B-ITX
RAM: 16GB DDR4
DISKS: #2 WD RED 4 TB - #2 WD RED 2 TB

disks.PNG

I just changed the ada0, in the picture above, the only one without label in the description.
I hope this help and thanks for your support.

sretalla