poor performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

l@e

Contributor
I will do also the UFS since this box I had just for test.
the one I ordered for me is coming in 14 days and it is the new generation of xeon E3-12xx v3 and SM X10 series with C224 chipset.
So the 800 Mb/s on nic is ok you think?
I will try also transferring from PC-BSD or Ubuntu just to check.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yes, I think your throughput is very good. It's hard to get a perfect score. And you are using Samba which had it's own overhead issues, but the next version of FreNAS will be using Samba 4 which "should" be an improvement. NFS as far as I know is the faster protocol but Windoze only has that on the corporate level stuff or the Ultimate package which I feel is a huge rip-off. FreeNAS of course has NFS built in.

Schwinni

Dabbler
NFS as far as I know is the faster protocol but Windoze only has that on the corporate level stuff or the Ultimate package which I feel is a huge rip-off.
You are very right. That Windows 7 *Professional* has the NFS client disabled is really a shame.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You are very right. That Windows 7 *Professional* has the NFS client disabled is really a shame.
I was not happy when I purchased my Win7 Pro and found that out. I was quite pissed off. I haven't found a way to make it work either. But this is off topic.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So the NFS client is in Home Premium but not Professional? What a load of dung!

l@e

Contributor
And it was possible in win 8 pro, but in 8.1 they have removed it from pro and it is available only in enterprise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joeschmuck

Old Man
If there was a way to make it work, I would already have it, but I'm not forking out extra money for something that should have been included.

l@e

Contributor
Perfectly make sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

l@e

Contributor
hi guys
finally had some spare time to setup the new server for the office document sharing. and wanted to share the results.
final setup is: Supermicro X10SLM-F|Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 v3 @ 3.40GHz |SC813MTQ-350CB |16 GB ECC |4x1TB WD RE4 SATA II@7.2K|

FreeNAS-9.2.1.2-RELEASE-x64|RAID1+0

transfer speed tested from HP pc (windows) with intel pro gbe and ssd copy 220 Gb video file with write speeds steady @107-115MBps and the NIC performance on the PC was round 99%.
protocol was SMB. with small files didn't get so lucky but I think is the issue with samba. CPU was not reaching more than 25% -30% even the volume is encrypted (AES on CPU)

now I just to resolve some issues with datasets permissions (already posted a thread on help & support of the forum ) and finally to get the system live and retire the old server with windows server.

Status
Not open for further replies.