Pool variants for better speed?

I've got 3 DAS.

DAS 1: 8x3TB
DAS 2: 7x3TB+1x4TB (needed to replace a dead 3TB drive, had only 4TB spares)
DAS 3: 8x4TB

Which would be the best way to utilize the storage?

Should I create one pool with 15x3TB in RAIDZ3 + one pool 9x4TB RAIDZ2, one pool 8x3TB RAIDZ1 + one pool 7x3TB RAIDZ1 + one pool 8x4TB RAIDZ1 or should I somehow combine all of the pools together? Or would you suggest some other variant?

The data stored are media files, photos, videos, movies, TV series etc., so I don't need great IO but do need good sequential read/write speeds to fully utilize the 10 Gbit connection.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Welcome.

Given your described use case of storing media files, I would set it up as "one pool per DAS" using RAIDZ2. This way, if you lose a DAS due to a power supply or backplane failure, your other two pools are unaffected.

You may not be able to achieve the full speed of a 10Gbps connection (1GB/s) onto each pool in this configuration, but in aggregate across them it wouldn't be an issue.

If you absolutely need to hit that full speed, then you can create a single large pool - I'd suggest using a one vdev per DAS approach, and still RAIDZ2 - and combine them as 8x3TB + 8x(3TB+4TB) + 8x4TB.