Pool degraded shows drive model not in system

northernsky

Explorer
Hello - I replaced all of my drive in my Truenas mini-X 5 bay system 2 months ago and yesturday after the scrub finished it came back with two issues. One drive (I beleive my spare) is saying unavailble and another drive that is not even in my unit anymore shows faulted. I was wondering if someone can help me read what I am seeing with my drives. I cannot tell for sure if its my spare but I know for sure that the drive that says faulted I removed when I replaced my drives. I have screen shots below. I am running a Truenas-Mini 3.0-X withg 32 gib of ram. The drive model that says faulted is a WD80EFAX-68LHPN0 and I dont even have that model. All my drives are the same model WD80EFZZ-68BTXN0. I hope someone can help me understand this. How can I fix it. If my spare is bad that's easy I can just warranty it but this is confusing.
Poolstatus.jpg
disks.jpg
email.jpg
alert.jpg

Edit:
So I rebooted my system to see if that clears anything up and it did for the faulted drive: So is it saying that WD-CA1BUZ7K is bad? If so how to I remove it safely and I am guessing the spare took over for it so why does it say unavailable? So confusing.
1666534547919.png

Thanks!!

Scott

Last edited:

Davvo

MVP
Please show the output of smartctl -a /dev/ada4.
If a drive is not in your system you should remove it.

It is worth to check if the (power and data) cables are seated correctly.

Also please do specify your pool configuration. Is that a 4-disk Z2 with a hotspare?

Suggested reading:

Last edited:

northernsky

Explorer
Please show the output of smartctl -a /dev/ada4.
If a drive is not in your system you should remove it.

It is worth to check if the (power and data) cables are seated correctly.

Also please do specify your pool configuration. Is that a 4-disk Z2 with a hotspare?

Suggested reading:
Hello Davvo,

Yes its a 4-disk Z2 with a hotspare. I shutdown and reseeded the disks to make sure thats ok. Below is the screen shot of the smartctl output.
1666545669266.png

1666545682669.png

1666545694604.png

1666545708191.png

1666545718632.png

Thanks for looking at this.

northernsky

Explorer
Hello,

So I went ahead and removed the faulted disk and replaced it with a space I had. It's resilvering now but how do I deal with the spare message? With ada2? See the screen shot...

Did the spare ada2 do what it was supposed to do when the ada4 drive failed and take over? How do I tag a drive as the spare or will the system do it for me?
1666557228086.png

Davvo

MVP
To me ada4 doesn't look like a bad disk: the CRC errors usually means an issue with the cables (thus my suggestion to check the correct seating of the cables).

Ada2 looks like is doing it's job as a hotspare, however I am not too proficent with how things work.
The pool configurations looks strange to me, especially that unavailable ada2.

northernsky

Explorer
To me ada4 doesn't look like a bad disk: the CRC errors usually means an issue with the cables (thus my suggestion to check the correct seating of the cables).

Ada2 looks like is doing it's job as a hotspare, however I am not too proficent with how things work.
The pool configurations looks strange to me, especially that unavailable ada2.
Yeah I checked all of the cables and reseeded the drives just to be sure. I've since removed it and gonna RMA it back to WD. The ada2 unavailable I am not sure about either... I think when the silvering is done I am going to try to remove that spare unavailable and see if i can move it back. No idea what else to do.

sretalla