ZFS Pool degraded looking for advice

fonze98

Dabbler
On my home lab I have a RAID Z1 pool set up with three VDEVs. Two of the VDEVs have three 8TB drives each and the third VDEV has three 12TB drives. (I am slowly upgrading each VDEV to 12TB drives) I also have a 12TB hot spare drive.

One of the 8TB drives had a cable go bad and started erroring so the spare took over. I have replaced the cable and performed multiple long smart tests on the drive that was erroring out and it seems to be fine now.

The pool shows up as degraded and in the POOL STATUS page it show a drop down for the SPARE that shows both the 12TB spare and the 8TB drive that was having issues. It shows the 8TB as FAULTED and the 12TB as ONLINE.

This is the first time I have had any drive failure\pool problems and I can not seem to find how best to handle this situation. I am fine with putting the 8TB back into the pool (all the data is also on two other systems) and keeping the 12TB as the hot spare but not really sure what steps I need to take to accomplish this.

Any advice would be welcome.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
It would be better to update to 22.02.4..... there were some issues with disk management in early SCALE versions.

fonze98

Dabbler
Sorry I had not updated my sig I am on the latest version

I am basically just looking to see what the process is for once the hot spare has taken over how do I tell the system I want to use the old drive again

Although I just bought 3 12TB EXOS drives on a black friday deal so may just upgrade that whole vdev. I would still like to know the process for future reference.

Last edited:

fonze98

Dabbler
Ok according to that guide the first step I should take is to offline the drive that was having issues. when I try that absolutely nothing happens. I am attaching a screenshot of my current state of the pool.
TankDegraded.png

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
So sdw doesn't provide the confirmation dialog for offline? Do you get all the disk options?

sretalla