Pool degraded, drive removed

3dddman

Cadet
Let me give you a little back story. I just started with a company and I inherited the TrueNAS. It is running on a Dell R720xd with 12 Dell 2TB 7.2K 6G SAS 3.5" drives. We have been experiencing issues on our VMWare ESXi environment. I didn't receive any warnings, but I thought I would log into the TruNAS and check it out and sure enough there was a message saying the MainPool was degraded and a disk was removed. I'm picking up a replacement drive today and heading down to my datacenter to replace the drive. First, as I'm not that familiar with that server, I'm assuming that it should be easy to identify which bay the bad drive is in by the bay lights assuming there are bay lights. If not, is there a way to identify which bay the bad drive is in? Second, are the drives hot swappable? Finally, after I replace the drive, what are the steps to get it back in the array? Does it get automatically added back into the Raid or do I need to do something to add it back in. Thanks

Attachments

• pool degraded.JPG
    pool degraded.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 157
Last edited by a moderator:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I'm assuming that it should be easy to identify which bay the bad drive is in by the bay lights assuming there are bay lights
Usually not...

is there a way to identify which bay the bad drive is in?
If somebody who set the server up has done their job right, you'll have a list of drive serial numbers and identifiers somewhere either electronically or physically on the server... I bet you don't.

To find the identifier, you should start by looking at the disks view. This might help you to see which identifier is "missing" from the pool. (I can already bet it's /dev/da3)

If you have activity lights on the disk, you could (once you find the disk identifier) use this:
dd if=/dev/daX of=/dev/null bs=1024k count=1000 and watch the activity light on that disk light up. (replace daX with the right identifier)

Second, are the drives hot swappable?
It's a chassis that should have that feature, but it's on you to check that.

Finally, after I replace the drive, what are the steps to get it back in the array?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Can't give you Dell-specific advice, but generally Dell makes niceish server gear and there should be an activity LED and maybe a failure LED, but the failure LED is unlikely to be lit, as that's a software thing.

I would expect Dell server bays to fully support hotswap.

You should be able to identify the drive by the lack of activity on the LED. Some of us go for the extra paranoia and make sure we label our drive bays with the serial numbers of the drives within.

If you are using this for VMware ESXi storage, you should be aware that RAIDZ3 is very bad at that, and that you may need to make further remediations if you are experiencing performance issues. See the following article.

https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/the-path-to-success-for-block-storage.81165/

Since the RAIDZ3 has the whiff of incompetence, you might also wish to review how your drives are attached to the system. Dell typically pushes their RAID controllers, and you need to be using an HBA like an H200, H310 crossflashed to IT mode firmware, HBA330, etc.

https://www.truenas.com/community/r...bas-and-why-cant-i-use-a-raid-controller.139/

There's guidance about replacing drives in a pool in the manual. I think it is unlikely to "automatically" do anything, but I don't really know since most of my arrays have a hot spare configured, and the specifics change now and then.

3dddman

Cadet
Thanks everyone. I already verified the drives are hot swappable in that server. I will use the information provided to identify the bad drive and do a replacement.

3dddman

Cadet
I was able to easily identify the failed disk on the server. It showed an amber light. I changed the 'removed disk" to offline, then physically replaced the old drive with the new drive and instantly had a green light. The problem I am running into per the 'replacement' instructions is that it states to select a member disk, but when I click the drop down arrow, nothing shows, just a - . Am I missing something? Thanks

sretalla