Plugin request - Bitcoin core (i.e. Node)

jsquaredz

Dabbler
Can you please add Bitcoin core as a plugin? It would allow a FreeNAS user to contribute to the bitcoin community as a FULL BITCOIN NODE and take pretty minimal resources. Since it runs in a jail, it will probably be the most secure instance of Bitcoin core on the internet ;-)

Keep in mind I am not talking about a Miner, but rather the transaction processing Node.

Source repo.

Why more nodes are needed.

The decline in nodes and Bitcoin could be put in jeopardy.

I'm sure you fellow nerds agree that this is a noble thing and running this as a plugin would be awesome.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Does it exist in the freebsd ports tree? If yes then just install it in a jail. No plugin needed.

jsquaredz

Dabbler
I will personally do that, but I would really like it to be easier for noobs. A plugin would be ideal with a one click setup.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I'm sure you fellow nerds agree that this is a noble thing and running this as a plugin would be awesome.
Letting medical and science researchers use my server (with no personal gain for me) for the advancement of mankind is noble Sir. What you speak of is business
and most would require PROFIT for the use of resources.
It would allow a FreeNAS user to contribute to the bitcoin community as a FULL BITCOIN NODE and take pretty minimal resources.
If the resources used are "pretty minimal", then my profit would be somewhere in the area of 25% over overhead :p
I just gotta have my piece of the pie Dude...

jsquaredz

Dabbler
Ehhh. Install is easy as push button. All it takes is one command 'pkg install bitcoin'

http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portoverview.py?category=net-p2p&portname=bitcoin

Is this the thing you are taking about?

During the install I got this snag :
"pkg: perl5.18-5.18.4_15 conflicts with perl5-5.20.2_5 (installs files into the s
ame place). Problematic file: /usr/local/bin/a2p"

Seems like the newer version already installed should be fine. How do I get the installer to ignore this and not install that perl pkg and satisfy the dependency with the already installed pkg?

jsquaredz

Dabbler
Letting medical and science researchers use my server (with no personal gain for me) for the advancement of mankind is noble Sir. What you speak of is business
and most would require PROFIT for the use of resources.
If the resources used are "pretty minimal", then my profit would be somewhere in the area of 25% over overhead :p
I just gotta have my piece of the pie Dude...

Not sure why. Running a bitcoin node would help to proliferate a new currency that is decentralized and purely owned by the people. This is the future internet of money and it needs to be supported in its nascent form.

If you want to profit, then you run a Bitcoin miner so you will be encrypting transaction blocks and making money by getting mined bitcoins and transaction fees. This is super taxing on hardware, but some people find it profitable and there is a big mining community..

A Node, is essentially just checking a 700k transaction block to verify a hash that a miner is saying is valid is actually valid.

Regardless, anyone not interested in this is free to not participate. If you dont see the long term value of supporting this, that's your view, but a lot of people actually feel a better internet currency is not only needed, but inevitable.

diedrichg

Wizard
Plugin requests need to be submitted as a Feature Request through bugs.freenas.org. The developers do not monitor this forum and that is the proper resource to request any new feature, plugin or not.

diedrichg

Wizard
Regardless, anyone not interested in this is free to not participate. If you dont see the long term value of supporting this, that's your view, but a lot of people actually feel a better internet currency is not only needed, but inevitable.
Exactly. I have run across this situation in my professional workplace and it just pisses me off to no end. You suggest a change that would benefit a community, large or small, and people shoot it down. If you don't want to use it, then don't! It doesn't affect you, why should you care?

jsquaredz

Dabbler
Plugin requests need to be submitted as a Feature Request through bugs.freenas.org. The developers do not monitor this forum and that is the proper resource to request any new feature, plugin or not.

Thanks. I will do that.

diedrichg

Wizard
Thanks. I will do that.
Oh. And then come back to this thread and post the report link if others want to weigh in on the request.

jsquaredz

Dabbler
During the install I got this snag :
"pkg: perl5.18-5.18.4_15 conflicts with perl5-5.20.2_5 (installs files into the s
ame place). Problematic file: /usr/local/bin/a2p"

Seems like the newer version already installed should be fine. How do I get the installer to ignore this and not install that perl pkg and satisfy the dependency with the already installed pkg?

It looks like the plug in is a long shot right now. Would really appreciate if someone could assist me in getting this Bitcoin core package from the port tree installed. See above the issue I had when trying to install.

bollar

Patron
The dependencies can be dealt with by updating and upgrading the ports library first.

#pkg update
#pkg upgrade
#pkg install bitcoin

I didn't try beyond that, but I'm curious to know how it goes for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zeezoo

Dabbler
Hello all,

Are there any updates on cryptocurrency mining with Freenas?
Sadly VGA >PCI passtrough won't work with bhyve, so no mining on Windows VM :/ but maybe it would work inside jail?

Regards,
zeezoo

No you can not mine on FreeNAS, you would have to use a HyperVisor and install something with drivers for the cards like Linux or Windows and virtualize both that and FreeNAS to have it on the same hardware.

Just go get a cheap board that has 6+ PCIe slots and use a cheap cpu and go from there if you want to mine. Not to mention that mining actual "Bitcoin" with anything other than an ASIC is pretty much just burning electricity at a loss. You are better off running zCash or Etherium.

zeezoo

Dabbler
Yes. I'm aware that mining bitcoin with GPU is pointless but I thought of mining other crypto. Just for fun. It won't bring millions, or even thousands.

The point is that I prefer not to buy another PC (my wife would kill me), and since the one I'm using for FreeNas has 2x pcie x16 and 1x pcie x1 totally unused and it's [ON] 24/7 I wanted to get 2 more RX470 in addition to one I have and mine. Well, I guess I'll have to wait for PCI passtrough to be fully implemented in bhyve (if that ever happens)

Thanks for answer.

Anda

Explorer
Hey, I tried to setup a Node but I always get the error: command not found.

U guys have a working node?