Pls help with a drive replace/expand

Status
Not open for further replies.

djidji perroto

Dabbler
I need to replace a 2tb drive on my FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 setup that is showing some errors. The drive is in a mirrored pool, so I didn't expect much of a problem, but as I was running out of space I went ahead and bought a pair of bigger 4TB drives, planning to replace my old drives one by one.
Unfortunately I'm pretty fast at clicking and rather slow at reading, so I initiated the GUI replace before checking if autoexpand was enabled for my pool, and it turned out it was disabled.
Now, while my drive is being resilvered I'm faced with the dilemma - should I set the newly added 4TB drive to offline, then erase it, then enable autoexpand and run the replace procedure from start or should I try to simply set autoexpand to on and swap the second drive.
Anybody with similar experience?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Set the autoexpand to on, then start the second drive swap. I've done more or less that very thing in the past.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Don't you love the simple answers.

djidji perroto

Dabbler
thanks. I did as advised, set autoexpand to on, then replaced the second drive. Now that pesky alert saying I've used >80% of my capacity is gone ;-)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Very glad to hear it worked out for you. Enjoy, and now you know how to go about it again if ever you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.