Plex Permissions

Zain

Contributor
Hello,

I was wondering what the media file permissions needed to be for plex (official app)? I did some searching around here and there has been hints that the user id is 972, although I believe that to be associated with CORE, no? There appears to not be a plex user.

I am having an issue where when sonarr/radarr/lidarr/jackett/transmission automatically download media based on users Plex watchlist, the files don't get the appropriate permissions when they are moved so that plex can 'see' the files. I have to go in and recursively apply the permissions again for plex to find the files.

It used to work up until about a month or so ago, any ideas here?

TIA,
Zain

*Edit:
TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.4
1669938885776.png

Zain

Contributor
Anything else you guys could use from me to help better troubleshoot the issue? Need more clarification of the issue? Logs? LMK please. Thanks!

pillanangel

Cadet
Make sure add a user named by"plex"&group"plex",UID and GID"1000" before any other user acount created by yourself.That's the way!

Zain

Contributor
How come this user and group wasn't installed when I installed the app?

Zain

Contributor
Can anyone officially confirm this? I'd like to know for sure that this is the case before I go through and removed and modify users. No offense here but @pillanangel only has a single post here so I'd like to hear from someone with a little more background here. Thanks!

Daisuke

Contributor
Yes, you need to manually create a media local user and assign the UID to runAsUser for all your related apps, this method is used since forever. Otherwise your apps will not be able to read the files, since they have different file permissions. Assign that local user also to your SMB shares. While there, install the TrueCharts apps and use prowlarr instead of jackett.

Custom media 1000, system apps 568:

Code:
# id media
uid=1000(media) gid=1000(media) groups=1000(media),568(apps)
# id apps
uid=568(apps) gid=568(apps) groups=568(apps)

When you create the local media user, it might have a different UID, for example 1002. Add the auxiliary apps group to it:

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 6.42.03 PM.png

Then, use the correct UIDs in all your media related apps:

1670023037876.png

Never modify PVC, your Host Path will be the central place where files are shared between all apps and should be set identically in all apps, internal pod /media mount path will become accessible by all apps:

1670023450811.png

Last edited: