TrueChart's Sonarr permission in scale

zyzzma

Cadet
If there's a better place to ask this question please let me know and I'll delete this and go there.
I have the usual arr suite setup in my true nas scale instance and every single thing is running fine, except sonarr.
I'm using radarr, lidarr, jackett, qb, bazarr it all works. But sonarr gives me the following error:
Mount containing a series path is mounted read-only: boot-pool/ROOT/22.02.2.1/d6ccd26c70db8396166ee6fd0e6c155b4daa57c1ff4dfae3fcc303e4d61d3062

I've mounted mnt/pool/media/tv and mnt/pool/downloads and both of them have read and write permissions.
I'm at a loss here, any help would be much appreciated.

indivision

Guru
Did you make any changes to the app perm settings? For example, you can often change "fsGroup" to get the app to write/access files from that group.

zyzzma

Cadet
Did you make any changes to the app perm settings? For example, you can often change "fsGroup" to get the app to write/access files from that group.
Thanks for replying. By app’s perm settings are you referring to the settings in sonarr’s gui or the truenas gui?

indivision

Guru
Thanks for replying. By app’s perm settings are you referring to the settings in sonarr’s gui or the truenas gui?

Sorry for the ambiguity. I was meaning the app's settings within the TrueNAS GUI, in the Applications section.

truecharts

Guru
If there's a better place to ask this question please let me know and I'll delete this and go there.

We've staff available for issues like these on the places listed on our website.
Primarily Discord these days.

We don't really keep that-much of an active presence here, when it comes to support.

I have the usual arr suite setup in my true nas scale instance and every single thing is running fine, except sonarr.
I'm using radarr, lidarr, jackett, qb, bazarr it all works. But sonarr gives me the following error:
Mount containing a series path is mounted read-only: boot-pool/ROOT/22.02.2.1/d6ccd26c70db8396166ee6fd0e6c155b4daa57c1ff4dfae3fcc303e4d61d3062

I've mounted mnt/pool/media/tv and mnt/pool/downloads and both of them have read and write permissions.
I'm at a loss here, any help would be much appreciated.

There is a reason we do not offer support here, as we have a quite-streamlined support process and need a lot more information than just this.
So it might be best if you just file a support ticket with our support-staff instead :)

zyzzma

Cadet
We've staff available for issues like these on the places listed on our website.
Primarily Discord these days.

We don't really keep that-much of an active presence here, when it comes to support.

There is a reason we do not offer support here, as we have a quite-streamlined support process and need a lot more information than just this.
So it might be best if you just file a support ticket with our support-staff instead :)
Hi, thanks for letting me know. I have submitted the following ticket on discord: ticket-857723066300891146
Appreciate it, thanks a lot for all that you do!

indivision

Guru
Hi, thanks for letting me know. I have submitted the following ticket on discord: ticket-857723066300891146
Appreciate it, thanks a lot for all that you do!

I'm pretty sure the issue for you is that Sonarr is trying to write to your mounted folders with user and group 568.

Try changing the "fsGroup" setting in your app settings (in TrueNAS GUI) to a group ID number that has write permissions in your mounted folders.

zyzzma

Cadet
I'm pretty sure the issue for you is that Sonarr is trying to write to your mounted folders with user and group 568.

Try changing the "fsGroup" setting in your app settings (in TrueNAS GUI) to a group ID number that has write permissions in your mounted folders.
Thanks! the error went away on its own, really odd behavior. I screenshoted what you said in case it ever happens again. Much appreciated!

indivision

Guru
Thanks! the error went away on its own, really odd behavior. I screenshoted what you said in case it ever happens again. Much appreciated!

You bet. I do suspect this may come up again. All of those apps are going to have a hard time writing to your mounts because they will all use their internal app users/groups for that access unless you set the mounts up to cater to those ID numbers.

I think what happened is that Sonarr tried to write something as part of its initial install. But, I've seen some apps, when failing to find a writeable path will fall back to some other default location for that operation.

So, I have a hunch that it recovered itself for the sake of install. But, you may run into permissions issues later when all these apps are trying to share the same location.

I'm not sure if my solution is "the right" way to set it up. But, for those "arr" apps I just set them all to use a common fsGroup ID that has permissions on the shared location. That has worked without issue for me.

zyzzma

Cadet
You bet. I do suspect this may come up again. All of those apps are going to have a hard time writing to your mounts because they will all use their internal app users/groups for that access unless you set the mounts up to cater to those ID numbers.

I think what happened is that Sonarr tried to write something as part of its initial install. But, I've seen some apps, when failing to find a writeable path will fall back to some other default location for that operation.

So, I have a hunch that it recovered itself for the sake of install. But, you may run into permissions issues later when all these apps are trying to share the same location.

I'm not sure if my solution is "the right" way to set it up. But, for those "arr" apps I just set them all to use a common fsGroup ID that has permissions on the shared location. That has worked without issue for me.
Yeah ill definitely keep that in mind for next time. Also you keep mentioning "fs" group. Do you just mean a regular truenas group?

indivision

Guru
Yeah ill definitely keep that in mind for next time. Also you keep mentioning "fs" group. Do you just mean a regular truenas group?

It's just the label of a setting that is in most (all?) of the apps (in TrueNAS GUI). I've assumed it stands for "file system Group"?

Here is an example:

1657901728229.png

For me, 1000 is the GID number for a regular TrueNAS group that has the permissions I want for the mounted folders. So, I change that here and it causes the app to have those permissions on the mount. Whatever you label a custom group, you should be able to also look it up in TrueNAS GUI and see what its GID number is to use in this fsGroup field.

You can see above that I also changed "runAsGroup" as well. That shouldn't be necessary and is probably not a good idea because some apps might depend on its internal permissions being something specific. Just changing fsGroup should be all you need.

Last edited: