sonarr setup best practice

HRS

Dabbler
Hi

I am trying to setup sonarr (and radarr) on my freenas server.
Most posts on that topic are on plugin installation problems.
I am able to get the necessary jails/plugins installed, but I would appreciate the community's help in configuring using "best practices".
My freenas pool has a "video" dataset which has two subdirectories: "movies", "series".
If I understand correctly, then using usenet requires a payed subscription. I would like to start with a free configuration
  • What indexer do you recommend? (I have installed Jackett)
    • which torrent trackers to select?
  • what are the paths settings for the indexers and sonarr?
    • I thought of adding a jacket_download dataset, and pointing the sonarr and radarr "completed paths" to my "video" dataset (with appropriate subdirectories)
  • Any other non-default sonarr settings that you would recommend
  • What is the recommended subtitles addition to sonarr/radarr? (I found bazaar on google, has anyone tried it?)
thanks

HRS

Dabbler
No. Not yet.
I was waiting for the community's input.
A bit disappointed by the lack of reponses. This forum used to be quite more active.

Mannekino

Patron
I've been working on setting up Radarr, Sonarr, Jackett along with Transmission for Torrents. I still got a lot more to learn but everything is working pretty well. I can write some tips later today but one thing I messed up on was having my Transmission Downloads directory and my Meda on different datasets. Radarr and Sonarr can create a hardlink after importing a piece of content like a Movie or Episode. If you have them on different datasets it will create an actual copy and thus taking up twice as much space. So last night I moved all the content of my Transmission dataset to my media dataset and reconfigured the mount points and path for Transmission, Radarr and Sonarr so it will create a proper hardlink with the import. This way Transmission can keep seeding while the movie is also in the right place.

HRS

Dabbler
Thanks @Mannekino
I also have a different torrent dataset. I am using transmission to dowloand both videos and music (and occasionally books), and as my music dataset is different than the video dataset I think another solution would be to have several transmission plugins installed, each with a download directory mounted in the appropriate dataset (i.e videos, music, ....).
What do you think?

Also, looking forward to reading your configuration tips (torrent indexers, directories, ....)

Mannekino

Patron
I can't promise I will get around to it today, I was thinking maybe I wanted to do a proper writeup or video even.

I don't know about different Transmission jail/plugins, I was planning on looking into that myself. I don't know if it's desireable to have a different Transmission running for different private trackers.

But for me it's pretty important to be able to keep seeding a Torrent after it has been added to my actual media library. So I really like it that Sonarr and Radarr can copy the file to my Series and Movies folder and keep it in the Downloads folder also by simply creating a hardlink.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
A bit disappointed by the lack of reponses. This forum used to be quite more active.
Perhaps the reason for the lack of responses from the FreeNAS forum is that you are asking questions about the applications and their configuration, not really anything to do with FreeNAS, so you should really have done that in a forum for those applications.

If you are unable to install the applications/plugins for some reason, that would be a topic for the forum and should be responded to in good time.

HRS

Dabbler
@sretalla:
If you are unable to install the applications/plugins for some reason, that would be a topic for the forum and should be responded to in good time.

I am facing the following issue with write permissions: setting the sonarr write directory to a mounted dataset fails with the message "sonarr user can't write to directory".
The dataset is name "video" and owned by a user with the same name, which is naturally different than the uid of sonarr in the jail.
I tried following the advice in the link (using "solution 2") but that didn't work. perhaps because the plugin architecture is different than the time that post was written (for example the line "chown -R USER:GROUP /var/db/PLUGIN" does not seem to apply)

what is the recommended procedure to modify the user id of the running service of a plugin so that it will have write permission to a mounted dataset?

sretalla