Plex on Scale - error with set-up due to SMB

donkmeister

Cadet
First of all, long-time lurker (3-4 years), but first-time poster.

I am setting up TrueNAS Scale, and one of my tasks is to set up a PLEX server so I can migrate my media from my old FreeNAS (which had PLEX server running in a jail).

I have been able to install the official app, but only when I don't set up any host paths in the configuration. When I do, I get the error message: "Error: [EINVAL] chart_release_create.extraAppVolumeMounts.0.hostPath: Invalid mount '/mnt/alexandria2/media' path. Following service(s) use this path: SMB Share"

The folder is indeed an SMB share, and I can confirm this happens with the SMB service turned ON or OFF.

I have gone into the Pod Shell for Plex, and confirmed UID and GID are the default of 1000. I have tried setting up a user called "plex", UID 1000. Same error.
I have also tried using the Plex config Environment Variables to set UID and GID for Plex to 568 (i.e. the default apps user/group in TrueNAS Scale). Again, no luck. I even set the ACL for the media folder to allow UID and GID 568 access. No dice.

Clearly, the root of the problem is somewhere between my keyboard and chair but I'm damned if I know what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone see my mistake(s)?

donkmeister

Cadet
Thanks - I should have posted a follow-up.

Given the (understandable, given the information in the pinned thread) reasons for not allowing this, what I ended up doing was setting up a VM running Ubuntu and a Plex server. As I don't do transcoding I was able to get away with a 1GB, 2-core VM running on Ubuntu Server (no desktop/GUI on top) so that's one workaround to anyone who finds this thread when scratching their head over the same issues.