Plex set up on TN Scale 22.12.0 (review and suggestions please)

Whe3zy

Dabbler
Hello all,
I'm wondering if I could get a 2nd set of eyes on my settings for getting Plex functioning on my TN scale machine? A few month ago, I had it working perfect in TN Core with the jails set up. Upon upgrading Core to Scale, I could not get my apps to update/upgrade, so i decided to start with a fresh install of Scale. The docker system is way different to set up vs the Jails system that Core offered.

I currently have 2 pools set up.

(Applications & NAS)
1.png

Data Sets for Plex and shared out via SMB
2.png

SMB's service are on and running
3.png

Plex Server set up config
4.png

Networking I have checkmarked "Configure Host Network" as I already have port forward enabled on my firewall from my TN core set up with Plex.

Storage Does my paths look correct for location of which I should be choosing, based on my Pools and SMB shares?
5.png

All of the remaining settings left as default.

Upon Saving, Plex is just stuck in a Deploying State (Cant get past it)

6.png

Last edited:

CasualUser

Cadet
Hello,
I am running to the same issue did you happen to resolve this ?
I am noticing that when I create the service before a do SMB the Service runs and it detects my media. But once I start SMB Plex does not want to refresh the Libraries.
Also forgive my English it is not my first language
Thanks,

Whe3zy

Dabbler
Hello,
I am running to the same issue did you happen to resolve this ?
I am noticing that when I create the service before a do SMB the Service runs and it detects my media. But once I start SMB Plex does not want to refresh the Libraries.
Also forgive my English it is not my first language
Thanks,
I can finally connected into my Plex server via GUI, but plex cant see the mappings of my data on the NAS. I have not found a fix yet to this. I am wondering if my problem is starting at where I have placed my the plex app? As in, wonder if there would be a different outcome if I installed Plex onto the NAS pool instead of the Application pool I have created.

DiskPoolDatasetSMBsSMB Sub Folders
XNextcloud
X7 TBNASPlexMedia
X-Movies
-Pictures
-TV-Shows
-Music
X1 TBApplicationI-x application

vs

DiskPoolDatasetSMBsSMB Sub Folders
XNextcloud
X7 TBNASPlexMedia
XApplicationI-x application-Movies
-Pictures
-TV-Shows
-Music
Application
- Plex Config
X1 TB

In watching different videos of ppl showing how to configure Plex within TrueNAS, it seems their is no ONE standard on how to do it. In the Networking area, some videos show the checkmark applied for "Configure Host Network" while others dont.
Under Storage, some fill in data for "Extra Host Path Volumes" while others dont.

https://youtu.be/L6faaMR6aXA Truenas Scale - How to set up Plex through ixsystem

https://youtu.be/-5PwIosgcQs Truenas Scale and Plex

https://youtu.be/QCG0-v-MrXA Plex + Hardware Encoding on TrueNAS Scale

Last edited:

Whe3zy

Dabbler
I also seem to get this error when deploying the Plex server (doesn't matter if SMB services are active or not)
SMB Error.png

NugentS

MVP
the quick and dirty fix for that is
1673847342250.png

Treddit700

Dabbler
I also seem to get this error when deploying the Plex server (doesn't matter if SMB services are active or not) View attachment 62483

Did you ever figure it out? I'm sort of in the same position as you in that I've installed Plex, but I can't see any movies that I put in the 'movies' dataset which is also a SMB share.

So mine looks like so:
1674698461803.png

I do have the ix-applications on the same pool as Plex as you can see, but also see no 'movies' or 'tv' data in the library after I've set the libraries up on plex. I'm assuming it some

Attachments

• 1674698822841.png
    1674698822841.png
    631.5 KB · Views: 562

Treddit700

Dabbler
Damn it didn't seem to put my whole post.. let's try again.

Anyways... i'm assuming my issue/maybe yours has to do with some damn permissions issues on the dataset or the folders or whatever.. at this point i'm thinking I just need to give access to all users/groups, etc.

this is my current 'TV' dataset/SMB share which you can see has issues with the permissions as it has those '?s' and there is no owner/group owner.

anyways, let me know if you got further. cheers

1674708043400.png

Treddit700

Dabbler
any updates on this? having the same issue
None from me yet. I'm going to have to watch some videos on ACL (access control list) and just permissions in general as I'm not fully understanding how users/groups/admin/root, etc.. should all be setup. Hopefully once I figure it out i'll try to reply here, but for not it's not a priority for me as this is just a fun project i'm working on and will play around with it in my spare time.

Treddit700

Dabbler
Ok well I got this working to the point that I can now see a movie that I added to my plex/movies dataset. I ended up doing a fresh install of truenas scale, but I doubt that was needed. I just did it cause I was bored and I installed it a couple days before this post so there wasn't anything on it.

Anyways.. it all came down to permissions. This is what it now looks like for me:

I created a plex dataset with a movies subdata set under it. The plex dataset is NOT a SMB share. I also created a group called 'Family' and a user called 'Tom'. I set the owner as Tom and the group to Family.
1675238855454.png

on the dataset above I clicked 'edit' permissions. and I set the permissions on 'Plex' and 'share' exactly like they are below. I basically stayed away from all that ACL crap until I know more about it. Just change the owner and the group and that's it.
1675239001419.png

The user 'tom' looks like this. I assigned him to the 'family' group. I put him in the 'root' Auxiliary group (that's what the 43 number is below) and I checked the two boxes at the bottom

1675239352337.png

I then went to my windows pc and added a movie to the 'share' SMB dataset. Once I had the movie in the 'share' dataset I went to the terminal (system settings --> shell)
Once in the shell I switched user to 'tom' (su tom) then I copied the movie and all it's contents in the share folder to the plex/movies folder using (cp -a /mnt/tank/share/. /mnt/tank/plex/movies/)
1675239797794.png

Once I had a movie out there I went to the plex web app on my windows pc and added a 'movies' library to the folder in which the movie showed up in. In my case is was '/data/movies/'

1675239976505.png

of course I can't play the movie the movie as i get an error (Error code: s1001 (Network)) so that's the next thing to resolve. But I can see the movie that I added in the plex library and that is where i was trying to get to.

I think the whole copying the movie from the share to the plex dataset is stupid and there must be a better way around that, but for now I didn't want to create the plex/movies as a smb share as I think that might be an issue. If it turns out it's not an issue then i'll set the plex dataset up as a smb share or figure out a better way to add movies to the library besides going to the stupid shell and putting some copy command in.

anyways.. good luck out there.

Attachments

• 1675239228737.png
    1675239228737.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 747

Treddit700

Dabbler
Ok well looks like the play back error code is gone now as well. I ended up stopping and restarting the plex app and all is working now.

Treddit700

Dabbler
Ok more updates. So I setup a SMB share on the 'movies' folder so i don't have to do all that dumb Command line stuff above. Now I can just drop movies there from a backup harddrive I have and they show up on the plex media server. The issue of course is that if you stop plex and start it again with the movies SMB share active, plex media server will not go to 'active' and will just say 'deploying' forever. To get around this I only turn on the 'movies' SMB share when I want to add files and then when i'm done I set it to inactive. For now this is better than command line stuff.

The other thing is the user and group permissions on both the plex dataset (green circle on the image) and the movies subdata set changed from what I had to user = 1000 and group = 1000(green circle again). For now I just edit the movies folder one back to user = Tom and Group = Family and everything is fine. I'm not sure what caused it to change, but it's an easy enough fix for now and I will monitor what I do to try and determine what the cause is.

1675320300987.png

Toggle the movies share (the subdata set under the plex dataset) to off when starting PLex and on when you want to move files over. Turn it off once you are done.
1675320746398.png

Enjoy.

oldmichael

Cadet
I had to turn off my server. Go to my "shares" in TrueNAS scale. Turn them both off. Then update plex, turn it back on. Then turn the shares back on. I have to turn the shares off everytime I update now and then turn them back on.

slayercft

Cadet
I had to turn off my server. Go to my "shares" in TrueNAS scale. Turn them both off. Then update plex, turn it back on. Then turn the shares back on. I have to turn the shares off everytime I update now and then turn them back on.
I'm having this same issue still, now on truenas 22.12.3.1...

This really ruines the streamline lol

richsmif

Cadet
I cant believe this is still an issue!!!!!!!!

Im running SCALE-22.12.3.2

I don't want to disable host path validation. I'm not prepared to break everything else just for plex

I don't want to start disabling shares every time i copy things into my media share - absolutely ridiculous.

Plex needs to changed to have the ability to point to a share that's accessible that's also open to SMB.
Plex pass users here so expect better.

Dreadful.