Plex never completes deployment - something with the data storage

DavidYLau

Dabbler
Hi,
I'm trying to set up Plex on my second TrueNas-Scale system.
Plex is running fine on my first system which is running 22.02.4.

I copied the Plex libraries over to my second system (running 22.12.0) using Rsync.
Plex deploys OK on this second system when I don't define any data storage (where the Plex libraries are located).

But once I add the data storage location, Plex then never completes its deployment.

As far as I can tell, the data file-systems are configured the same on both systems. It's configured with Posix ACL with the same owner & group on both systems. I thought maybe it was Rsync interfering with Plex, but I disabled all the Rsync tasks and removed the Rsync module. Plex still doesn't deploy.

I'm currently using the "official" version of Plex. I've also tried the Truecharts version - same unhappy results.

Any ideas on what else to check? Thanks in advance..

Last edited:

DavidYLau

Dabbler
In case anybody else hits the same problem, I figured out the issue.

From this webpage:

Starting with SCALE Bluefin (22.12), there's a new safety check on apps called Host Path Safety Checks located in your SCALE installation's Apps Advanced Settings (the same place as your k3s network, GPU, and other settings). This check is intended to ensure datasets used by your apps (e.g. media datasets) are not in use by a network share (e.g. SMB, NFS, CIFS). We require this for security (Protect the system from container escape vulnerabilities using hostPath) and reliability (Prevent multiple services (shares for example) from using the same dataset.) reasons. You can disable these checks, but it may lead to issues with your Apps depending on your permissions configuration.

To disable Host Path Safety Checks:

1. From the SCALE Apps page, click Settings > Advanced Settings
  2. Uncheck Enable Host Path Safety Checks
  3. Click Save and wait for your apps to re-deploy.
Alternatively, you can add your additional app storage as an NFS Share instead of a hostpath to connect it through your share configuration, rather than directly through your SCALE installation, without violating host path safety checks.