Plex Media Scanner kernel panics at least once a day

OlePlay

Dabbler
So after building a new Jail with 12.2 and using the latest version available in the repos (1.22.0.4145) it still crashed.

I manually updated Plex to the newest version (1.22.1.4228) and so far it has not crashed, hopefully it stays that way.
I'm gonna wait for a few days to see if it has indeed been fixed.

Thank you all very much for your help :smile:
This is truly an awesome community!

OlePlay

Dabbler
Looked good at least for a few days,
sadly it paniced again today, once again because of Plex Media Scanner.

A ZFS scrub found some checksum errors in my media files, i deleted them and am currently running another scrub.

My plex libraries also contained some old windows paths from an old install, i highly doubt they had anything to do with the crashes, but deleted them anyway.

Now i'm completly out of ideas what else could cause the crashes :confused:.

Are you sure those drives with hundreds of unreadable sectors are not involved with this? Those drives are not part of a pool that hosts media?

What happens if you test with a fresh instance of a Plex jail, but don't point it to your media files? Maybe point it to a separate pool with a few sample media files that you know have no underlying issues / unreadable sectors?

OlePlay

Dabbler
drives with hundreds of unreadable sectors are not involved
They are definitely not involved, they are on a different pool, which hosts no media.

What happens if you test with a fresh instance of a Plex jail, but don't point it to your media files? Maybe point it to a separate pool with a few sample media files that you know have no underlying issues / unreadable sectors?
Good idea, gonna try that after the scrub finishes.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Looked good at least for a few days,
sadly it paniced again today, once again because of Plex Media Scanner.

A ZFS scrub found some checksum errors in my media files, i deleted them and am currently running another scrub.

My plex libraries also contained some old windows paths from an old install, i highly doubt they had anything to do with the crashes, but deleted them anyway.

Now i'm completly out of ideas what else could cause the crashes :confused:.
Your should never have corrupted files. Your pool is failing and you need to fix that. If the hdds are not returning valid data you can't really expect anything else to work.

OlePlay

Dabbler
Your should never have corrupted files. Your pool is failing and you need to fix that. If the hdds are not returning valid data you can't really expect anything else to work.
Interestingly i never experienced an issue using a Perc H700 RAID controller and Windows server, so that makes me think it might be my LSI controller or the intel sas-expander thats having issues.
I'm also currently running long smart tests on the hdds in the pool, to figure out if it might be the drives.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Interestingly i never experienced an issue using a Perc H700 RAID controller and Windows server, so that makes me think it might be my LSI controller or the intel sas-expander thats having issues.
I'm also currently running long smart tests on the hdds in the pool, to figure out if it might be the drives.
Yeah run smart long tests, look at the output of zpool status -v to see all files that are corrupted. There should be zero and there should always be zero. If that value is ever not zero you have a big problem, most pools are lost if there is mass file corruption. This is why it's not normal.