FreeNAS server crashes at least once a day..

Status
Not open for further replies.

moellinger

Cadet
My setup:
FreeNAS-9.2.1.6-RELEASE-x64 (ddd1e39)
Core™ i3-4130T, CPU
Munich 430W, Power Supply
GA-H87M-D3H, Mainboard (onboard
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller)
DIMM 16 GB DDR3-1600
3 X Western Digital Red - WD20EFRX 2 TB

I'm experiencing constant reboots (around once a day) of my FreeNAS system with a Kernel panic "buffer modified while frozen!". Quite often this seems to happen when I'm running my Time Machine backup. The latest debug information is attached. I've also experiencing performance issue whilst moving big chunks of data to the NAS - either via AFP or SCP.

I've already ordered am Intel EXPI9301CT network card since I believe the onboard Realtek controller causes some performance issues.

My main concern for this thread is mainly the constant reboot of the system.

Hope someone can spot the issue.

Thanks
Daniel

Attachments

• debug-freenas-20140802230219.tgz
    561.9 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well:

1. You've turned on dedup. That in itself shows you probably didn't do much homework as dedup needs 5GB of RAM per TB of data.. minimum. So you are just short of crazy for enabling dedup with 16GB of RAM. Additionally there is no upper limit to how much it will actually need. Not the least bit surprising you have performance issues. Well, duh.. you enabled dedup without boatloads of RAM. As soon as the dedup table won't fit in RAM performance tanks and you are left with a very very slow system. And someday if your dedup table won't fit in RAM you won't be able to access your zpool. The *only* fix at that point is to install as much RAM as you need. And if you need 100GB of RAM and you don't have it nobody on the planet will be able to save you. Sounds risky, huh? That's because it is.
2. You aren't using server-grade parts. Again, something that is an often tell-tale that more sinister problems will develop. Not the least of which is the lack of ECC RAM support for your hardware that can lead to ZFS corruption and total loss of data.
3. Realteks don't exactly work well, but that's what you get when you buy desktop parts for a server. The Intel may fix some of your problems if networking is a problem at all.

If I had to take a guess I'd say your problem is one or more of the following:

1. You don't have enough RAM because you chose to use dedup.
2. You purchased desktop hardware and that's starting to bite you in the butt.
3. Some kind of failed hardware that is presenting the failure to the OS at random intervals and when it happens the box crashes.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Almost certainly the main problem is dedup on a system not even remotely beefy enough for it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Good news is that the processor is salvageable, since it supports ECC. Bad news is that it's a T, which is absolutely useless in 99.9% of cases. It won't use less power at idle and it also will not be able to work as hard when needed. They are only useful when limited by heat dissipation.

Knowltey

Patron
As the others have stated you are running well below the minimum system requirements for your usage scenario with deduplication. If you are enabled deduplication on a zpool of your size you need to hae a bare minimum of 26GB of RAM. But even then you shouldn't be running deduplication on any FreeNAS system until you have at least 32GB of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.