Plex Media Scanner kernel panics at least once a day

OlePlay

Dabbler
Hi there,

I'm currently running into the problem that my TrueNAS 12.0-U2.1 (see Signature) install is seemingly randomly rebooting.
I already had a look at the debug logs and it seems to experience an page fault kernel panic almost every day.

I already ran multiple burn in tests in Windows for at least 24 hours and experienced no errors.
I also ran Memtest86 for at least 48 hours with no errors, so i think it's safe to say that the memory is fine.

The last two kernel panics were seemingly both triggered by my Plex jail doing a media scan.
I'm gonna stop the Plex jail for now and test if the panics stop.

In the meantime i would appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Many Thanks!

Attached is the latest debug log

Attachments

• debug-truenas-20210325203326.tgz
    1.3 MB · Views: 176

OlePlay

Dabbler
Small Update:

After further examing the debug logs it appears that all kernel panics caused by "Plex Media Scanner" happend at almost the same time every day,
19:05 (7pm) to be precise.

I setup my Plex server to do daily maintenance at 19:00 so i assume the panics are caused by the Plex maintenance.

I now moved the maintenance window to a different time, let's see if the panics also happen to move.

ThreeDee

Guru
you run the plugin or manual install? ..nice rig by the way :cool:

OlePlay

Dabbler
I'm using the official Plex Pass Plugin.

You also have a nice rig :wink:

ThreeDee

Guru
because the plugin was limited to a 12.1 jail I went to a manual install to use a 12.2 jail .. OCD for the win! Panics being caused by Plex then?

OlePlay

Dabbler
As far as i can tell for now, it appears to be caused by Plex.

I'm waiting for 19:00 to see if moving the maintenance helped.

I also did the Plex database optimization and so far forcing a Plex maintenance did not cause a panic.
So it may have been just a malformed database entry.

OlePlay

Dabbler
The kernel panics are definitely caused by Plex.
Moving the maintenance also moved the panic.

I'm unable to replicate the panics by triggering a Plex maintenance manually.
The Plex logs sadly also do not help at all, as they always stop before the kernel panic.

manual install to use a 12.2 jail
Gonna try that for now.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
in the jail what is the output of uname -U and uname -K? Make sure your userspace and kernal space are the same version.

OlePlay

Dabbler

styno

Patron
Maybe unrelated, but I noticed some issues with Plex intro detection during the maintenance window. Turned out the intro detection choked on analyzing some really old damaged media files and this caused memory/swap issues.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

Is there any way to fix that, other than installing a new Jail with 12.2?
yeah you can upgrade the jail using 'iocage upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE <jailname>'

Idealy your jail userspace version matches your kernel version.

OlePlay

Dabbler
iocage upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE <jailname>
Thanks, didn't know one could upgrade the jail so effortlessly. Gonna remember that command for my other Jails :)
But i decided to build a completely new Plex jail based on 12.2, maybe that resolves the panics.

Plex intro detection
I don't think that is related, but i disabled it anyway.

But i decided to build a completely new Plex jail based on 12.2, maybe that resolves the panics.

Let us know if it does.

For what it's worth, you have hundreds of unreadable sectors on two different drives: da12 and da14.

Maybe it's unrelated, or maybe those are located within Plex's metadata / database. Either way, hundreds of unreadable sectors on two different drives is something I would take very seriously and determine how long you want to chance it before replacing those two drives in the pool.

OlePlay

Dabbler
hundreds of unreadable sectors
Thanks for the heads-up ,
I already have new drives in the mail and they luckly don't contain any important data.
My Plex metadata all lives on my NVMe pool, probably a bit overkill... ;)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thanks, didn't know one could upgrade the jail so effortlessly. Gonna remember that command for my other Jails :)

I don't think that is related, but i disabled it anyway.
I hope when you rebuilt you installed Plex with pkg and not the plugin.

OlePlay

Dabbler
I hope when you rebuilt you installed Plex with pkg and not the plugin.
Yep, i created a new jail and installed Plex via pkg and manually updated it to the newest version since the version available in the repos is quite old.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Yep, i created a new jail and installed Plex via pkg and manually updated it to the newest version since the version available in the repos is quite old.
That's not how you do it but sure. You should just switch from the quarterly repro to the latest. That gets you the most recent updates.

OlePlay

Dabbler
That's not how you do it but sure. You should just switch from the quarterly repro to the latest. That gets you the most recent updates.
Thanks, didn't know about that, makes it much easier :grin:

ThreeDee

Guru

OlePlay

Dabbler