Plex libraries, no options

olblueye

Dabbler
I've been running Scale/Angelfish from the start and used Plex. Just updated to Bluefin, all good 'except' Plex ... Hanging while deploying. I un-installed/deleted Plex, re booted the server and installed a fresh Plex. Plex is now 'Active' and I can launch the web portal, my libraries do not show, so under Settings / Manage / Libraries / Add Library - choose option ... Browse for media folder. I get what I think is the contents of the Plex App (see attached screen-shot)? I have looked through all the Bluefin settings/permissions, all seem correct. I'm at a loss and cannot find others with the same or similar issue. Thanks.

Attachments

• Plex add folder.jpg
    Plex add folder.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 543

browntiger

Explorer
Hmm, Your external volume (hostPath) possibly did not mount. What could be wrong :wink:

olblueye

Dabbler
Hmm, Your external volume (hostPath) possibly did not mount. What could be wrong :wink:
Thanks for the reply. All data volumes are internal, mounted, no errors. With Plex app / Edit settings; all storage host path are unchecked. If I attempt to enter something meaningful, it throws an error. See images attached. I will review the Bluefin docs re host path for help.

Attachments

• Plex app.jpg
    Plex app.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 516
  • Plex storage 1.jpg
    Plex storage 1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 370
  • Plex storage2.jpg
    Plex storage2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 346
  • Plex storage 3.jpg
    Plex storage 3.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 372

olblueye

Dabbler
Did you use PVC when installing?
Or did you mount external storage?
I upgraded from the TrueNAS dashboard. All volumes are internal. System/server is up and running I can load, save, edit etc files and folders from my Macintosh over ethernet; all works great. Just Plex (the only app I have installed) ?

victort

Guru
I upgraded from the TrueNAS dashboard. All volumes are internal. System/server is up and running I can load, save, edit etc files and folders from my Macintosh over ethernet; all works great. Just Plex (the only app I have installed) ?
Your media folders are in separate datasets? Or are they in the ix-applications dataset?

If not, then it is my understanding that if an app gets deleted, all data goes with it. Unless it is mounted outside the container/jail.

Djubei

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. All data volumes are internal, mounted, no errors. With Plex app / Edit settings; all storage host path are unchecked. If I attempt to enter something meaningful, it throws an error. See images attached. I will review the Bluefin docs re host path for help.

You should choose extra host path volume where you store your media files for plex not data volume
2023-01-07 (3).png

olblueye

Dabbler
Djubei - Thanks for the reply. I still get an error thrown up 'doesn't exist'? See image. I must be missing setting something - what I do not know?

Attachments

• Error pod.jpg
    Error pod.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 392

olblueye

Dabbler
Your media folders are in separate datasets? Or are they in the ix-applications dataset?

If not, then it is my understanding that if an app gets deleted, all data goes with it. Unless it is mounted outside the container/jail.
Thanks for the reply. Here's a screenshot of my datasets. As I understand it, Plex (app) sits in ix-applications; my video data sits in media - split between Film and TV.

Attachments

• datasets.jpg
    datasets.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 397

olblueye

Dabbler

Daisuke

Contributor

olblueye

Dabbler
Install TrueCharts app, a big improvement in app settings.

Your datasets have all SMB shares assigned to, that will break everything. Please stop doing this. Worst is you use an SMB share directly on the pool, that's just bad practice from the start. See SMB Shares section into Bluefin Recommended Settings and Optimizations thread.
Thanks. I have TrueCharts but use the official Plex app. On the SMB shares; it was originally setup that way for me and has performed/worked well and continues to. I'll review your extensive Bluefin recommended settings and on SMB shares, then make any necessary changes. But the main focus of Plex 'add library' issue and its root cause still eludes me.

olblueye

Dabbler
Install TrueCharts app, a big improvement in app settings.

Your datasets have all SMB shares assigned to, that will break everything. Please stop doing this. Worst is you use an SMB share directly on the pool, that's just bad practice from the start. See SMB Shares section into Bluefin Recommended Settings and Optimizations thread.
I have tried to create a new user(s) as described in your thread and I am prevented to 'save' (get a grey prohibited symbol). Also, with reference to SMB share I seem to have a conflict? By opening SMB edit window and Dataset window - these show differences (see images attached). Accessing the server via ethernet shows me that as in 'sharing-01' image. File and folder access via SMB works great without issue. So it appears to me that there are some issues within the current Bluefin 22.12.0 and Plex that are beyond me?

Attachments

• Sharing-01.jpg
    Sharing-01.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 343
  • Sharing-02.jpg
    Sharing-02.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 431

browntiger

Explorer
Don't do this. Not the best idea to SMB Share /mnt/tank and the subfolders /mnt/tank/media, /mnt/tank/store.

> I have tried to create a new user(s) as described in your thread and I am prevented to 'save' (get a grey prohibited symbol).

When doing anything on TrueNas you must fill in all ALL MANDATORY FIELDS that have * next to them. Or save will not be enabled.

olblueye

Dabbler
Don't do this. Not the best idea to SMB Share /mnt/tank and the subfolders /mnt/tank/media, /mnt/tank/store.

> I have tried to create a new user(s) as described in your thread and I am prevented to 'save' (get a grey prohibited symbol).

When doing anything on TrueNas you must fill in all ALL MANDATORY FIELDS that have * next to them. Or save will not be enabled.
Thanks. On the SMB share issue I seem to Have. It was all set up for me originally like this; I make time to go through the docs and review the current setup I have and make the changes needed ... I have also been advised to switch to NFS (from SMB) as we use Apple Macs with Mac OS Ventura. So a lot of reading for me on this. Re: Add new user ... Yep, missed one and could not see it, had to scroll up. Tired.

ApexProxy

Dabbler
I had issues with SMB shares and Plex as well and appears to be an intentional block. As my setup requires it, I found a way to get it to work and I am not seeing any issues so far.

What I did, start with a dataset "Plex". Create a folder "Media" inside and then two sub folders inside "Media" for "Series" and "Movies". Then I set "Media" as the host path for Plex and set up SMB share on "Plex".

This is with the TrueCharts version of Plex by the way.

olblueye

Dabbler
Start by removing ALL shares and troubleshoot the issue. Many things changed in Bluefin, moving into right direction, which was not right into previous releases.
Thanks. Yes, I now see that my system could have been set up better; while it worked well, it had hidden issues. Bluefin has shown this. I will go through it step-by-step.

olblueye

Dabbler
I had issues with SMB shares and Plex as well and appears to be an intentional block. As my setup requires it, I found a way to get it to work and I am not seeing any issues so far.

What I did, start with a dataset "Plex". Create a folder "Media" inside and then two sub folders inside "Media" for "Series" and "Movies". Then I set "Media" as the host path for Plex and set up SMB share on "Plex".

This is with the TrueCharts version of Plex by the way.
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to go through my system and the official docs, checking everything.