Post-upgrade Bluefin with permissions, Plex, Nvidia Shield, etc.

bacardi8

Explorer
Hi Guys,

I already upgraded to Bluefin before this thread and guide from @Daisuke, and I ran into the same issue as many others regarding,
broken apps, broken SMB, permissions, disable of host path safety, etc.

I asked for help here in this forum and @Daisuke offered to take a look at my setup and settings.
We managed to solve the issues that I had by following his guide (this page from the top), and mostly all is back running.

I have similar setup as shown in the guide, means a pool for media and a pool for software.
I only have two apps installed so far (Emby and Plex) and both of these are active (without disable of host path safety check) and with the
settings shown in the guide, so this is functioning.
From the web ui I can open Plex and create my libraries by using the media files from my media pool, but a new and different issue came up.

I can't access my SMB media folder from my windows 10 machine, means I'm not able to map my share as network drive. My server is shown in my network, but is empty, the SMB shared media folder is not visible and I can't log in to it. Same then of course goes for different Nvidia Shields
around in the house, they can't log into my server. On Nvidia Shield I can link to my Plex server but this is then empty, no media files there, even
all files is there from the web ui.

I guess this has something to do with permissions. This issue came up after we changed/created the above mentioned settings.
Since I'm almost without any experience in Linux and also in solving such kind of network issues I'm a little lost at the moment.
So my question now is, if some of you guys have, or have had, similar issues, and also if somebody could help guiding me in the right direction.

Cheers

bacardi8

Explorer
UPDATE :

I found the issue regarding SMB share.
After the latest Windows 10 update the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client was turned off, if that's only by me or if that is normal I don't know.

Turning it back on solved the issue.

bacardi8

Explorer
@Daisuke
I run into a issue by installing Emby, actually there was an update for Emby and then it failed, so I reinstall it.

The issue is like this :

Can you understand something out of this..???
Emby Install issue.png

mervincm

Contributor
I just wanted to point out that there should be no reason to have to enable SMB 1 here. Bluefin and Windows 10 support the much more secure and higher performing SMB 3. I get it that it got you going but… you have something else going on here

mervincm

Contributor
/tmp is a host path common to many Linux based installs. It has often been recommended for transcode temp folders because if it’s ubiquity and high performance. But it’s a host path and thus under new restrictions/guidelines. I use it and deselect the warning box, but that is not the current best practice.

neofusion

Contributor
I just wanted to point out that there should be no reason to have to enable SMB 1 here. Bluefin and Windows 10 support the much more secure and higher performing SMB 3. I get it that it got you going but… you have something else going on here
100% agree. If you only get it working with the woefully insecure SMB1 something is broken in your setup.
Microsoft often actively disables the SMB1 feature in updates because using it is a bad idea.

bacardi8

Explorer
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments.

I'm affraid that you're right, something is not as it should be, or as it was before. (I miss angelfish)
Since I don't have any experience in this I'm a litte lost at the moment.

I have to change and to add some ssd's to my system and to migrate my software pool, but i read somewhere around here that migration is
not 100% up to date in Bluefin so far. I migrated already once here in my existing Bluefin, maybe something went wrong there already,
who knows..??

Since I have a backup og all my data already, I'm seriously thinking about making a fresh install, specially also because I'm not able to troubleshoot
the current situation myself, and furthermore I had several issues already since the upgrade to Bluefin RC1.

I guess, due to my current situation, this would probably also be a suggestion from your side to do so.

BTW....Do you guys hear about if all the same issues (read aroud in the forum) also occur after a fresh install of Bluefin..??
I think that I only read about upgrades so far and not about new install.

Daisuke

Contributor
But it’s a host path and thus under new restrictions/guidelines.
It is actually recommended to use a ramdisk based /tmp hostPath. Bluefin does it, should be applied to all containers also. I explained this into my optimizations thread. When you deploy an app for the first time, there is a race condition, since the container tries to deploy its FHS structure, so it cannot assign a predefined directory in memory, during creation. It can, after the container was deployed.

1671929534483.png

Bluefin:
Code:
root@uranus[~]# df -ahT /tmp
Filesystem     Type   Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs          tmpfs  126G  6.5M  126G   1% /tmp

Container:
Code:
$ df -ahT /tmp
Filesystem           Type            Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs                tmpfs           8.0G         0      8.0G   0% /tmp

truecharts

Guru
It is actually recommended to use a ramdisk based /tmp hostPath. Bluefin does it, should be applied to all containers also. I explained this into my optimizations thread.

Please do **NOT** do mods like this on our Apps.
In this case you're directly breaking a number of Apps with this.

truecharts

Guru
/tmp is a host path common to many Linux based installs. It has often been recommended for transcode temp folders because if it’s ubiquity and high performance. But it’s a host path and thus under new restrictions/guidelines. I use it and deselect the warning box, but that is not the current best practice.

All paths in containers are containerpaths. Only paths mounted using the hostPath kubernetes volumes, are what is called "hostPaths"

truecharts

Guru
@Daisuke
I run into a issue by installing Emby, actually there was an update for Emby and then it failed, so I reinstall it.

The issue is like this :

Can you understand something out of this..??? View attachment 61367

The issue here is the fact you even try to add a `/tmp` mountpoint yourself.
You shouldn't do this with TrueCharts at all.

Daisuke

Contributor
Please do **NOT** do mods like this on our Apps.
In this case you're directly breaking a number of Apps with this.
I'm not breaking any apps, is a standard use for emptyDir. Feel free to explain why is this different with TrueCharts and I will amend the post.

Edit: I had a chat with @ornias on Discord channel and apparently, TrueCharts apps sets /tmp as ramdisk by default (which is ideal):

1671971645074.png

However, based on my tests, it is not the case, /tmp is set as default overlay directory:

overlay.png

Once I mount the emptyDir as Memory, the ramdisk appears:

ramdisk.png

None of the apps I installed mount /tmp as ramdisk, he recommended to file any bug reports on Github.

1671971996072.png

I think the best approach is to test an app and see if temp directories are mounted as ramdisk, df -ahT will give you the entire container filesystem structure. For now, I'm going to remove the ramdisk recommendation from guide, to avoid confusion.

Last edited:

bacardi8

Explorer
Yes,
then Emby get active right away....

But Plex is active and running with your former mentioned settings.
It seams to be different from app to app.....could that be....??

Last edited: