Plex libraries, no options

chri5

Explorer
I had the same problem. Take a look at how my datasets are arranged. My plex library is slow/plex/media folder (not the plex parent).
This means I can make the slow/plex folder an SMB share. Make sure you run plex as the user who owns the datasets, you set that when installing plex in Security & Permissions.

Attachments

• plex-dataset.png
    plex-dataset.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

olblueye

Dabbler
I had the same problem. Take a look at how my datasets are arranged. My plex library is slow/plex/media folder (not the plex parent).
This means I can make the slow/plex folder an SMB share. Make sure you run plex as the user who owns the datasets, you set that when installing plex in Security & Permissions.
Exactly, Thanks for that.

olblueye

Dabbler
RESOLVED

With thanks to those who replied to me with suggestions and more importantly by reading the official docs and the very good Bluefin recommended settings guide from Daisuke. I have resolved the Plex issue (and much more).

Fundamentally my system was not set up correctly for me originally with TrueNAS Scale; it all worked and I could use it, so not a second thought. Bluefin is more robust, comprehensive and stringent. So when I blindly upgraded from Angelfish, Bluefin prevented things from happening and presented me with problems (Plex).

By stripping the datasets back to correct the format, adding new user datasets, removing Plex and its data, removing the shares and confirming permissions throughout made it come to life.

Plex was then freshly installed on a newly created user account 'with the required data paths included' and all is now 'tickety-boo'.

Many thanks.

chri5

Explorer
I think the next update will patch this hole... sadly
Yes :frown: I've been doing some testing with an NFS share. It works but is a pain if you are used to how easy SMB shares are on Windows. I'll post some instructions when the time comes if anyone needs help.

olblueye

Dabbler
Yes :frown: I've been doing some testing with an NFS share. It works but is a pain if you are used to how easy SMB shares are on Windows. I'll post some instructions when the time comes if anyone needs help.
I agree; NFS share on Apple Mac OS is a real pain and not worth it for me at the moment. SMB just works, works well.