21.06 beta + Nvidia Shield + SMB share

aakaa

Cadet
I'm not sure the hardware is relevant to this issue but I will start with that:
  • 2x Xeon X5670 (2x 6c/12threads, base 2.93/max 3.33 GHz)
  • 24gb ddr3 ecc (6x4gb)
  • LSI SAS 9210-8i controller
  • Super Micro X8DTL-iF motherboard
  • Intel quad gig nic
  • some seasonic 620w psu
  • a bunch of WD HDDs
Decided I wanted to try going truenas baremetal on my personal server. Installed CORE 12.0-U4. Created an SMB share. Transferred all my data in from backup. Took a while to figure out that the only way for my Nvidia Shield to be able to successfully access the share was to enable NetBIOS-NS in networking. After that it worked great. Used it like that for a couple of weeks.

SCALE beta released. Decided that native docker would be cool for some future projects. Exported the pool in CORE. Installed SCALE 21.06 beta. Imported the pool. Created an SMB share. First issue. I was receiving an error when trying to set ACLs on the share. Found a post with others talking about the same error. ACL type was blank. So I selected POSIX. Now ACLs changes were applying. Accessing it from my windows box working great.

Now changing focus to the Nvidia Shield, I went and enabled NetBIOS-NS (disabled by default understandably). Now running into two issues:
  1. This could be an issue on the shield but if I restart the server, I have to first disable NetBIOS-NS, save, then re-enable it. Ignoring the webgui, how can I verify if this setting is staying enabled after restarts?
  2. No matter what settings I play with, try different credentials, enable/disable legacy items like SMB1, the nvidia shield continues to give the unhelpful vague message "connection failed". I want to blame the nvidia shield for this but it was working flawlessly on CORE. Any ideas how I can go about troubleshooting this?

aakaa

Cadet
Just to make things murky, I have a small update.

Tried mounting a network location from within an app on the Nvidia Shield (as opposed to the native OS mount network storage). I was able to get that to work. Browse files. Open files. Only worked with some credentials but not others.

Still not the same behavior I had on CORE. SMB1 and NTLMv1 still disabled.

Going to test more to see if I can figure out this possible permissions issue with the credentials. After that, just for fun, I may try disabling the NetBIOS-NS too. If I can get the network share to be accessed within the apps but not in the native OS, that is an acceptable workaround for my use-case.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
SCALE 21.08 has more CORE-like behaviour for SMB... including NFSv4 ACLs.

aakaa

Cadet
SCALE 21.08 has more CORE-like behaviour for SMB... including NFSv4 ACLs.

I definitely feel that some of the issues I am having are the same as in this thread about ACLs (I really should reply to that) but I want to see if I can make this work with POSIX regardless.

I still have other items that seem like they might be separate from ACLs like the NetBIOS-NS setting.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I would test with the 21.08 nightly... if its not working there, it's worth documenting a bug.