Plex is running but I can not see any of my content

Floyd

Dabbler
I recently migrated over to TrueNas Core 12. I read a bunch of tutorials and watch a couple of videos and got up Plex up and running in a Jail with no issues.

I recently purchased a new motherboard for my server (AS Rock Rack I think) so I decided to reinstall TrueNas Core and re import my Pools. Which worked fine. I was able to get Samba up and running without any problems and Plex installed again as well, but now even though I can log into the account (I have a Plex Pass Lifetime account) and se it running on my next work locally I only see Plex's content and none of my own.

When I connect to the Samba share everything is there, but Plex acts like there is no server on my network

Can someone please help me trouble shoot what is going on here. I have no idea where to start.

I feel like it's a Mac address thing because this mother board is new and has two Ethernet ports on it, although I'm only using one.

ornias

Wizard
You're issue is bit onworkably vague...
It's not specific enough to determine if your PC could even detect your plex server, or your plex server is detected but the storage is not...

Those two paths have totally different causes and solutions i'm afrait...

Floyd

Dabbler
Okay, I guess what I'm asking for is where to start trouble shooting, not exactly for a, "this is your problem type answer".

So if you were someone trying to trouble a shoot an issue such as this, where would you start looking.

ornias

Wizard
- Check if Plex on your desktop can actually see your server (it's in the left menu of the settings)
- Check if the Plex Jail can actually see the content of the folders you connected to it.

I think this might be a Plex issue. I ran into the same thing myself, though I am not a Plex Pass member.

I had to log out of my Plex account, shut down the Jail, and then restart the Jail. I didn't bother visiting the Plex forums or Reddit, but my hunch tells me this might have been a possible glitch on their end or with a new software update?

I'm thinking of switching to an alternative that doesn't require an INTERNET account with INTERNET authentication, for PERSONAL media I am hosting on my own LOCAL network. :rolleyes:

What happens if you visit in your browser:
Code:
http://ip.of.plex.jail:32400/web

(Or use the jail's hostname if you have it configured that way.)

G8One2

Patron
2 things need to happen. First, you need to make sure you're on the same network / subnet that the jail is running on. Second, you then need to go to your browser and enter the IP address of the jail using port 32400 as suggested by @winnielinnie . Once you do that, you will be able access the managment page of your new plex jail. From there you can setup your media folders. You'll have to sign into your plex account to claim the newly created server. One other note, you will likely have to stop the jail and add mount points so that you can add your media folders in the web management page.