Plex Install & Updating issue

jeffmnelson

Dabbler
My Plex jail just stopped working about a week ago. After exhausting every option I could think of, I removed Plex and tried to re-install it. When I tried to install the Plex plugin I get the following error:

Exception Value: [MiddlewareError: Failed to download http://download.freenas.org/plugins/9/x64: HTTP Error 404: Not Found]

I am able to install other plugins so I know the issue is just with Plex for some reason.

To get around this, I installed Plex by downloading the latest PBI from http://download.freenas.org/plugins/9/x64/. This allowed me to install it but it installs version 1.9. I figured I could install it and then just update it but when I SSH into the new, custom jail and run the PMS_Updater update script I have always used in the past, it doesn't work. The script runs properly but when I then fire up Plex again, it's still running an old version.

From what I've read, this is because the PMS_Updater isn't designed to run on custom jails and only updates when installing from the Plugin menu. I also tried the PKG Update from within the jail but that doesn't seem to do anything either. What I'm looking for is either a way to install using the plugin menu so I can do things the way I've always done or a way to update my new, working plex install in my custom jail.

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
To get around this, I installed Plex by downloading the latest PBI
PBI? Are you a masochist or something? Update to a supported version of FreeNAS and either install Plex manually or use the iocage plugin.

jeffmnelson

Dabbler
Yeah, for some reason, 11.2 won't run on my hardware. I've tried installing it a few times and I can't get things to boot. 11.1 works fine so that's where I'm at. I've always just installed Plex from the plugins menu and I don't have a lot of experience with FreeBSD. From what I've read, iocage isn't supported by 11.1 but I could be wrong. I've looked at installing using CLI but if I'm not mistaken, doing so will not allow me to administer things through the FreeNAS GUI which I prefer. Not a deal breaker but I'm just not a fan of using CLI if I can help it.

I think the issue I'm having with installing using the plugins menu is the URL for the Plex install is incorrect or has changed. I'm not sure if this is something I can fix or if it needs to be fixed by the FreeNAS team. I'm open to suggestions though.

jeffmnelson

Dabbler
I installed Plex using the CLI in a custom Jail. So far, everything seems to be working so far. Just importing my library right now. I now see what you mean. After setting up the jail, installing and updating was so easy. Good learning experience though. Thanks for the suggestion

Bill McFarland

Dabbler
PBI? Are you a masochist or something? Update to a supported version of FreeNAS and either install Plex manually or use the iocage plugin.
So FreeNas 11.1 is no longer supported??? Asking because I'm having the same problem?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes, but more than that, Warden is a massive pain. Everyone pretty much jumped on iocage even before it officially replaced Warden in FreeNAS.