plex dedicated nic troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am attempting to set up one of my jails (plex) to have its own nic. Let it be known my knowledge of networking is a tad rough. I set up my server on address reservation through my router for the main server connection. I then tried to do same for setting plex to have its own ip based on the second nic's MAC. I set up the jail to use that nic setting the ipv4 address to the same as the reservation. This seemed to have worked, however when I went to plex the server appeared, but all of the content said "could not be played at this time". I then proceeded to check the router and it shows that I have the lease of 192.168.1.69 for the main which is correct and 192.168.1.5 which I had reserved on the router and set on the jail to be 192.168.1.2. I then looked at ifconfig and it says the second nic is using 192.168.1.5 and 192.168.1.2. I am now stuck and am looking for some help :confused:. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

My system is as fallows
Freenas Build : FreeNAS-9.10.1-U2 (f045a8b)
Motherboard: gigabyte h170-itx
cpu: intel i3- 6300
ram: 16gb non-ecc (soon to change) crucial DDR4
LSI 9207-8i flashed to P20 UEFI
5 x 2tb seagate
1 x 128gb sandisk boot

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I am attempting to set up one of my jails (plex) to have its own nic.
I also wonder if you figured this out.
I did this with my previous FreeNAS build. Using a quad port NIC, I mapped on interface for FreeNAS another for PLEX and a third for my VirtualBox for other VMs to connect to the network. Once I got it all working, it was really great.
The problem you may be having is a conflict between the IP you are trying to push with the router and the one that is being assigned inside the FreeNAS configuration. You might try not using the router to push an address, just assign the address from inside the software configuration.

pschatz100

Guru
Some routers do not reserve IP's properly. You might be better off just setting a static IP in your Plex jail configuration that is outside the router's DHCP range.

Also, check the player settings in PLEX and try different browsers. There are some incompatibilities between the new HTML5 player modes and certain browsers. All browsers are not created equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.