Please help with a home NAS (PSU?)

MSameer

Dabbler
Hi all :)

This is my first post but I have been reading the forum for a while. I learned a lot thanks to the cumulative knowledge and great support from all the members :)

This is the current system I am planning to build. I will use it at home for just streaming. One or 2 persons max.
Case: Fractal design Node 804
Motherboard: Supermicro x9scl-f
CPU: Intel pentium G2020
CPU cooler: Standard intel cooler
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) ECC Micron PC3L 1600 MHz MT18KSF1G72AZ-1G6E1ZF (I checked the compatibility)
HBA: Dell perc H310
Boot SSD: Kingston A400 120GB
HDD: 6x4 TB WD red (I have not decided finally yet on the capacity) But I will run zraid2
power supply: Seasonic focus plus 850 gold

Overtime I am planning to add another 16 GB of RAM, an additional SSD for boot mirroring and maybe upgrade to a xeon CPU.
In a few years I am also planning to expand the storage with 6 additional HDD. But that is not in the near future :)

What do you guys think? Will the above mentioned setup work?

I am debating a 750W PSU instead of the 850W.

EDIT: Fixed motherboard model.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Supermicro x9xcl-f
Not an actual model. Maybe an x9scm-f ?
Seasonic focus plus 850 gold
With only six drives, you could manage with a smaller power supply. If you wanted, but I see where you want to add more drives later.

Proper Power Supply Sizing Guidance
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/proper-power-supply-sizing-guidance.38811/

In a few years I am also planning to expand the storage with 6 additional HDD.
I don't think you will fit them inside the same case though. Did you have a plan for that?
What do you guys think? Will the above mentioned setup work?
Sure, this will work. No problem, except for that model number on the system board.

MSameer

Dabbler
Thank you for the quick reply :)

I do not believe I mistyped the mobo. It's x9scl-f :o

I have read the power supply sizing guidelines and my calculations are ~950 watts
Code:
12 HDD: 35 * 12
2 SSDs: 35 * 2 (Cannot be but assume the worst)
4 RAM: 6 * 4
MOBO + CPU: 25 + 80
HBA: 10
Fans: 5 * 30 (I doubt but assume the worst)

Total is 779 * 1.25 = 973.75 but this is assuming worst case scenarios.
The guide assumes a xeon system with 11-12 HDDs to consume 750 watts

I took the middle ground and opted for 850. I am not entirely sure that I am asking for help.

I don't think you will fit them inside the same case though. Did you have a plan for that?

The case can take 10 3.5" + 2 SSD.
I am planning to try to cram 2 extra drives somehow using mount brackets. But this will happen in the far future. Let's see :)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Total is 779 * 1.25 = 973.75 but this is assuming worst case scenarios.
Well, I won't argue with you. I don't see hard drives draw that much power. I have a server at work that actually has 60 drives in it and it only has redundant 2000 watt supplies.
The case can take 10 3.5" + 2 SSD.
I am planning to try to cram 2 extra drives somehow using mount brackets. But this will happen in the far future. Let's see :)
Would you consider something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperMicro...i-F-2x-6-Core-E5-2620-2Ghz-Sleds/192816211745
It needs a couple changes to be perfect, but it is a possibility.

MSameer

Dabbler
Well, I won't argue with you. I don't see hard drives draw that much power. I have a server at work that actually has 60 drives in it and it only has redundant 2000 watt supplies.

Please do. I did my calculations according to the guide. But I am not sure what to pick up.

If 60 drives need 2000 watts then I can get away with a 650 watts PSU?

Would you consider something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperMicro...i-F-2x-6-Core-E5-2620-2Ghz-Sleds/192816211745
It needs a couple changes to be perfect, but it is a possibility.

This is a nice piece of hardware. But it's an over kill for me really. I also fell in love with the Node 804 :D

Evertb1

Guru
This is a nice piece of hardware. But it's an over kill for me really. I also fell in love with the Node 804
It really is a nice case but you will have problems to put 12 disks in it. I have build an OMV NAS for a friend in this case with 8 drives in it (in the HDU racks) and one SSD (in the front bay) . The cable management was a hard job. Putting 2 drives on the bottom would make the cable management even a harder job to do well. But to get a healthy airflow the cablemanagement is very important. As it was, I needed to buy 2 extra fans to keep the harddisks within acceptable temperatures (they were getting above 50 degrees celcius). And the CPU temps were also pretty high. I really don't know about putting even 12 disks in that enclosure. Maintaining a decent airflow no mather how much fans you add will not be easy if not impossible. And adding that Dell HBA won't make things better. I know from experience that it can get pretty hot. I have one running in a Fractal Design Define R5 (with a lot of room and a pretty healthy airflow) and I still needed to give it a dedicated fan (see a photo of that here. I can't imagine what will happen with those temps if there is no good airflow.

MSameer

Dabbler
It really is a nice case but you will have problems to put 12 disks in it. I have build an OMV NAS for a friend in this case with 8 drives in it (in the HDU racks) and one SSD (in the front bay) . The cable management was a hard job. Putting 2 drives on the bottom would make the cable management even a harder job to do well. But to get a healthy airflow the cablemanagement is very important. As it was, I needed to buy 2 extra fans to keep the harddisks within acceptable temperatures (they were getting above 50 degrees celcius). And the CPU temps were also pretty high. I really don't know about putting even 12 disks in that enclosure. Maintaining a decent airflow no mather how much fans you add will not be easy if not impossible. And adding that Dell HBA won't make things better. I know from experience that it can get pretty hot. I have one running in a Fractal Design Define R5 (with a lot of room and a pretty healthy airflow) and I still needed to give it a dedicated fan (see a photo of that here. I can't imagine what will happen with those temps if there is no good airflow.
This does not make me happy :(

I can always say that I will find a way but I do not think I can beat the experts...

Do you think I should stick to only 6-8 drives? I can replace them one by one as they die with bigger drives. At the end of the day what matters is the total usable disk space.

The issue is I just like how this case looks like. I tried to find a similar cube that looks nice and can take a decent number of drives (Even an ATX case) but failed.

otpi

Contributor
Do you think I should stick to only 6-8 drives? I can replace them one by one as they die with bigger drives. At the end of the day what matters is the total usable disk space.

I recently decided to go with an unconventional 4x8TB vs the cheaper, and more conventional(?) 6x4TB option. Reasoning that:
  • Any future storage upgrade will favor 8 TB drives (as drives inevitably grow in size), and I'd like to keep the number of drives low.
  • I only use 4 of the 6 available sata ports, leaving 1 for SSD boot drive (hw inhouse, on to do list), and one for a spare drive for whatever reason.
  • I can double available capacity with another two drives (although I do need move data and create a new pool for this to work)

Evertb1

Guru
The issue is I just like how this case looks like. I tried to find a similar cube that looks nice and can take a decent number of drives (Even an ATX case) but failed.
A small (nice looking) enclosure is always a compromise. It limits you in the formfactor of your motherboard. It limits you in the number of harddisks and other hardware you can house, it gives you a hard time with building your systems, it makes adequate cooling harder etc. etc. The way to go is to just take a good look at your wants and needs and then compromize on the for you less important points. If you need more then 8 disks to fill your storage needs your enclosure should not be the limiting factor. Only you can decide if you can do with 6-8 drives. Personaly I have found my "sweet spot" with 6 drives in a Raid-Z2 configuration. But that's is according to my needs.

MSameer

Dabbler
  • I can double available capacity with another two drives (although I do need move data and create a new pool for this to work)
You will have to get 4 extra drives then. 2 for copying your data and 2 more to recreate the pool. And be at the mercy of the new drives not failing. That is dangerous!

A small (nice looking) enclosure is always a compromise. It limits you in the formfactor of your motherboard. It limits you in the number of harddisks and other hardware you can house, it gives you a hard time with building your systems, it makes adequate cooling harder etc. etc. The way to go is to just take a good look at your wants and needs and then compromize on the for you less important points. If you need more then 8 disks to fill your storage needs your enclosure should not be the limiting factor. Only you can decide if you can do with 6-8 drives. Personaly I have found my "sweet spot" with 6 drives in a Raid-Z2 configuration. But that's is according to my needs.
I do understand you and I greatly appreciate you trying to help me.
I don't mind a bigger case, I searched for a large cube case but none of them would take even 10 3.5"
I will keep the nas in my living room so I still need it to look good.

6x4TB drives will give me about 12-14TB. I think this will be enough for maybe 3 years. I can replace the drives with bigger ones as they age to get more space (after they are all replaced). Or maybe go for another case in 3 years? Who knows what will happen

Which PSU did you choose for the case with 8 drives BTW?

Evertb1

Guru
Which PSU did you choose for the case with 8 drives BTW?
A Corsair RM750x. But a RM650x would have been sufficent as well I think. I am a fan of this series. It is fully Modulair, has a nice build quality (electrically and mechanical) and it has a zero RPM fan with low and medium loads. So it operates very silent. I have one in my HTPC in the living room (the RM550x version) and I never hear it. Seasonic is also a brand of PSU's I trust and I like the Focus plus Gold series. I have 5 systems running and all with Corsair or Seasonic PSU's.

otpi

Contributor
You will have to get 4 extra drives then. 2 for copying your data and 2 more to recreate the pool. And be at the mercy of the new drives not failing. That is dangerous!
The dangers of transferring are "easily" mitigated. I would not use new drives before doing a proper burnin. The bulk of my bytes are recoverable from other sources, and not important (i.e. media). Important data have more backups. In terms of data integrity/backup I consider my freenas box a big step up from local copies on laptops/desktops/phones etc. A proper backup of my setup is my next "big" step, as such I don't mind the two spare drives.

ymmw: I'd rather have 8x8 TB, than 16x4 TB (for ~32TB 6wide-raidz2 + backup).

MSameer

Dabbler
The dangers of transferring are "easily" mitigated. I would not use new drives before doing a proper burnin. The bulk of my bytes are recoverable from other sources, and not important (i.e. media). Important data have more backups. In terms of data integrity/backup I consider my freenas box a big step up from local copies on laptops/desktops/phones etc. A proper backup of my setup is my next "big" step, as such I don't mind the two spare drives.

ymmw: I'd rather have 8x8 TB, than 16x4 TB (for ~32TB 6wide-raidz2 + backup).

You are lucky then
Maybe I should do something similar then. Use 6x4TB drives and then add 2 more later? I understand I will have to recreate the pool.
I am also hoping that by the time I fill my array larger drives will have become more affordable. In that case I might have been better with a smaller case

otpi

Contributor
You can add vdevs later. IMO, if you start with 6x4TB raidz2 vdev you can just add another another 6-wide raidz2 later for more capacity. Does not have to be the same size disks. A 6 wide raidz2 already has a pretty good economy, 33 % for "parity" vs the wasteful 50% in my 4 disk setup. 8-wide z2 is also fine, only 25% "parity". I chose 4x8TB to keep number of drives low, and my prediction that 8 TB will be more viable in the future (i.e. by the time I need to upgrade). Also, it was a really good Black Friday deal...

MSameer

Dabbler
Yes, I am planning 6x4TB for now. Let the future worry about itself

I did my calculations and 4TB costs the least per GB.

Evertb1

Guru
So, I ended up getting a seasonic focus+ 750 Watts PSU instead of the 850
Good choice I think. Should be plenty for your current needs with room left for future extensions. Enjoy your build.

MSameer

Dabbler
I am in a bit of a situation here:
I am trying to install 11.2-RELEASE-U1 but I am getting /dev/ada0 short write on character device
I also tried with 11.1-U7 but I am having the same issue.
freenas-error.png

The SSD is working fine because I can manage to install debian on it. I am not sure how to debug this issue. Any tips please? :)

I apologize for the screenshot but I do not know how to copy and paste from the KVM viewer output.

MSameer

Dabbler
I am in a bit of a situation here:
I am trying to install 11.2-RELEASE-U1 but I am getting /dev/ada0 short write on character device
I also tried with 11.1-U7 but I am having the same issue. View attachment 28781
The SSD is working fine because I can manage to install debian on it. I am not sure how to debug this issue. Any tips please? :)

I apologize for the screenshot but I do not know how to copy and paste from the KVM viewer output.

OK. I left the installer in the background while I typed that post and turns out that the installation completed successfully!

I am not sure why the error though. I will not delete the post. Maybe someone will hit the same issue and the post might help him in the future.