4K Media NAS Build - HELP NEEDED

northtroyboy

Cadet
Hi,

I am new to the NAS scene and looking to build a unit to house all my 4K movie rips. The NAS must be able to transcode 4K and I already have a capable CPU (please recommend better options if necessary). I would like a case that would support at least 6 HDD's. I would appreciate it if somebody please fill in the blanks below with the best hardware for the task that is compatible with my CPU:

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700

Motherboard:

Case:

CPU Cooler:

RAM:

PSU:

SSD:

HDD: 6X's WD 10GB

I appreciate the help guys.

Jay

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Evertb1

Guru
Having storage for 4K movies on a rig that is mainly used for transcoding might not be the best use case for FreeNAs that I ever heard of but OK that's just my opinion. As for your question: take a look at the source @Chris Moore pointed out to you, but realise that the possibilites are almost endless and it is just as easy (easier even) to spend thousands of dollars as to keep things on a modest budget.

But I think that the best advice anybody can offer you is to read up about FreeNAS and ZFS before you buy a single thing. There is enough information to find in the FreeNAS documentation and on the Resources pages of the forum (see the links above). You should at least have a basic understanding about FreeNAS and the ZFS file system. FreeNAS is free but not cheap. It costs an investment in time to learn (and yes money) to take fully advantage of it.

Velcade

Contributor
Look at 1 (or 2) used Xeon-E5 chips. PassMark is a good site for CPU comparison and following Plex's guidelines you'll want something around 17k per stream.

1556552626643.png

https://www.labgopher.com/ is another good resource if you want something that is 'ready-to-go'. You can sort by passmark score.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I appreciate the help guys.
What is your budget for your total buildout, not counting drives? How much storage are you looking to have, now and five years from now?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
6X's WD 10GB
If you use RAIDz2, which is recommended, this is only about 32TB of usable storage. I don't want you to be over estimating what you are getting here.