Mobo and parts for i7 8700. FreeNAS build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konfl1kt

Cadet
Hello!
First of all I have WD mycloud mirror ex2 and I like the idea of NAS but I don't like features. I decide to build my own FreeNAS server. I know it's not simple and I can get some issues but I am ok to waste my time for that. In future I want to add these HDD's to FreeNAS build as a second pool.
I have some parts already and I want to know yours opinions about them.

CPU: i7 8700
Mobo: I need help
RAM: DDR4 4GB I need more I know...
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB x2 mirror vdev

Goal: File storage, media server with some 4k movies, I want to use seedbox and I don't know how, also want to be able to open some records from android phone (docx, pdf)

Guys, thank you for this forum and for FreeNAS. Couple questions:

What do you think about 8700?
Can you help me with motherboard? mATX or mITX less then $100.
What about 4k? 8700 (HD630) is ok?

Thank you again. Sorry for my England :D

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Konfl1kt

Cadet
1. I saw somewhere here one guy said "don't worry about non ECC memory".. Looks like I got it wrong. No way to build NAS w/o ECC support, right? Edit: Looks like ECC is not required. Is it ok to use regular ram?
2. Why not RAID-5... idk. Look like I need one extra drive, right?
3. Thank you for the power supply guide.
4. Impossible with my HDD, right?

Thank you sir!

Edit: Looks like AMD Ryzen had ECC support. What do you think about this CPU?

P.S. I am reading ) So if I don't care about RAID5 problem and I do not need ZFS can I use regular RAM? How many Gigabytes should I have?

Last edited:

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
1. I saw somewhere here one guy said "don't worry about non ECC memory".. Looks like I got it wrong. No way to build NAS w/o ECC support, right? Edit: Looks like ECC is not required. Is it ok to use regular ram?
2. Why not RAID-5... idk. Look like I need one extra drive, right?
3. Thank you for the power supply guide.
4. Impossible with my HDD, right?

Thank you sir!

Edit: Looks like AMD Ryzen had ECC support. What do you think about this CPU?

P.S. I am reading ) So if I don't care about RAID5 problem and I do not need ZFS can I use regular RAM? How many Gigabytes should I have?
If you do not need ZFS then you should consider something like OpenMediaVault. I like the E3 or E-2xxx series Xeon chips. My system uses a proper server board which is cost comparable to a high end gaming board. You can use regular ram ok, but ZFS is designed to take advantage of ECC. E3 Xeon or Xeon E-2xxx (8th gen E3) is basically a Core i7 but with ECC support.

Archaniel

Explorer
If you don't worry about data integrity without ECC, or do not want the benefits of ZFS, why do you bother with FreeNAS? Get yourself some cheapo Synology and you're done.
If you do care, use a Xeon, or a cheap Pentium (G4400 for example) and a corresponding mobo + RAM. It's a few bucks extra and it just works.

Konfl1kt

Cadet
religiouslyconfused, I think FreeNAS have more plugins? Just more popular also. In future as I said I want to move my RED hdd with personal data to new NAS. This build for testing. Your words sounds like OMV better if you don't want zfs. Why?
Archaniel, I will be able to use consumer chip for something else if FreeNAS will not satisfy me. It's why I am asking about 8700 or Ryzen.
Regular motherboard with 5Ghtz Wifi support for $80 dollars also positive argument. It's gonna be cheap build for tests and after I can make it more solid. You mention Celeron but what about 4k? About Sinology... I have WD Cloud, I think it's gonna be same with same limitations.
Thank you guys.

IQless

Contributor
Do you already have the i7-8700 and this is why you want to use it? or do you plan to buy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.