Please help me set up afp share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightperfect

Dabbler
Dear all,
I am having trouble setting up afp on freenas.
Here is what I did:
1. Under service assign afp service with a name, enable guest login is unchecked, guest name : nobody.
2. Then I going to share -> afp -> add afp with a user name, pass word, and a path all other check boxes are left as default

I can see the server appear on my Mac, but when I click on it it says this service is not available. Also sometimes give me a signin window but when I use the user name and password I created from afp it say is the wrong one.

What have I done wrong? Did I miss something?

Freenas ver. 9.1.1

Mobo: asus p658x-e
Ram: 6g ddr3
CPU: i7 930
Hd: wd black 1t
2hd: wd 160g

D

dlavigne

On the freenas system, what is the home directory for the nobody account?

pbucher

Contributor
You need to add users and/or groups to the allow list on the setup screen. You don't want to have a share password unless you have reason for such.

Lightperfect

Dabbler
Do I have to assign a directory for the user account? Because now I have creat a new user group and a new user in the freenas GUI, and should I assign the user name and group to the storage permission user & groups? How many box should I check on that? All of them?

pbucher

Contributor
The directory is only used if the user will login in via ssh or something like that. It might be used for other things but for your standard afp server sharing a directory it's not needed. I'd suggest making a group and putting the various afp users in that group and then putting that group on the afp share page. The boxes control the security settings(read, write, & execute), the same Unix permission settings you see on directories & files on OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.