pkg_add filesystem full

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKaniarz

Cadet
I'm trying to add a couple of command line utils to freenas. I remounted the root filesystem rw, and used pkg_add to add a couple. However eventually I ran out of space. How do I make more room or install somewhere else?

As a side question, how do I uninstall a package that didn't complete? pkg_delete says that the package isn't installed and now I'm at 107% capacity. (not sure what allowed that to happen)

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
FreeNAS 8.0 is not designed to add new packages, 8.1 will.
pkg_add is _really_ not recommended, also pkg_delete wont work because /var/pkg/db is not saved across reboots...

jfr2006

Contributor
That's why i'm trying to compile my own version of freenas, setting the initial flash device = 2GB. This way, there will be more free space.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
pkg_add is generally nothing more than a fancy wrapper for tar with a management system around it; since the FreeNAS system will lose the metadata for package management, you might as well treat packages like the tarballs they are.

You can manually install your packages by untarring them in /usr/local, do an ls and you'll see some "+" files that are pkg system metadata that you can make go away. You can figure out what's been installed file-wise by looking at the contents of the pkg tarball, or, one of those + files has a list of the files as well.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That's why i'm trying to compile my own version of freenas, setting the initial flash device = 2GB. This way, there will be more free space.

Some of us were a little puzzled by the choice of 1GB, considering how tight that makes things.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Some of us were a little puzzled by the choice of 1GB, considering how tight that makes things.

That is enough for the system, custom packages were never meant to be installed there, i'll be handled in 8.1 by something different..

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That is enough for the system, custom packages were never meant to be installed there, i'll be handled in 8.1 by something different..

Right, but it's still not much room for growth. If it's decided to add something major to the system, let's just say a GUI based file manager for example, you could burn through the remaining space pretty quickly. A 2GB flash drive can be had for as little as $6 (NewEgg). Further, FreeBSD has a disturbing habit of growing over time... some of my earliest FreeBSD systems fully installed on a 60*M*B hard disk, and of course that didn't last long.

It'll be interesting to see what develops though.

pauldonovan

Explorer

Are you able to elaborate on that some more? Are you guys intending on allowing users to add any package they like (the reason people try to use pkg_add) or a more controlled system where there's a central FreeNAS repository that users can select items from?

Paul

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Are you able to elaborate on that some more? Are you guys intending on allowing users to add any package they like (the reason people try to use pkg_add) or a more controlled system where there's a central FreeNAS repository that users can select items from?

Paul

There are plans to use packages very like the PBI used in PC-BSD

Status
Not open for further replies.