/var filesystem full, unable to install openjdk7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Dabbler
I'm a longtime Windows user making the move to *nix-based systems, so forgive my elementary level of knowledge here.

As the title suggests, my /var directory is too small to allow the installation of the Java JDK 7 package using add_pkg. First let me say that there aren't any huge files in there that should be cleaned out (from what I can tell). I checked using df -h and found that only 19M is being used in /var, so I assume the REAL issue is that the total size is only 149M to begin with.

I'm booting from a 16GB flash drive, and it would be nice to just expand the size of the /var filesystem, but that doesn't seem possible now that FreeNAS is installed from what I've read.

From Googling, the options I've found are:

1. Create a symlink for /var to another filesystem to give it more space to work
2. Change TMPDIR environment variable so temporary files go somewhere other than /var/tmp

I've attempted both, but neither worked, probably because I'm doing something wrong.

Can someone give me a step-by-step on how to make more space so I can run add_pkg without running out of space?? I'm willing to try whatever solution will work, not picky here.

I just want to get Subsonic running like I had it on my old Win Server 2008 machine so I can listen to my music anywhere from my FreeNAS server :)

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Dabbler
Okay. I added a Plugins Jail. From the shell, how do I enter the jail to start adding packages and doing other things there?

Status
Not open for further replies.