Problems with pkg_add

Status
Not open for further replies.

msands

Cadet
good evening everyone. first i would like to thank you for taking the time to take a look at my issue.

I have been using freeNAS for a while now, but am just starting to get the most out of it.

Quick rundown of my system:
FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x86 (r11950)
P4 3GHz
1776MB
2x 1TB hard drive

I am trying to add Subsonic to my freenas box, but for some reason, 'pkg_add' does not work. when trying to run 'pkg_add -vr flac' it returns an error stating:

[root@freenas] ~# pkg_add -vr flac
scheme: [ftp]
user: []
password: []
host: [ftp-archive.freebsd.org]
port: [0]
document: [/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/ports/i386/packages-8.2-release/Latest/flac.tbz]
---> ftp-archive.freebsd.org:21
looking up ftp-archive.freebsd.org
Error: Unable to get ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/ports/i386/packages-8.2-release/Latest/flac.tbz: No address record
pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/ports/i386/packages-8.2-release/Latest/flac.tbz' by URL
pkg_add: 1 package addition(s) failed

the same thing happens regardless of what package i try to install. i was able to find a work around and visited 'ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/ports/i386/packages-8.2-release/Latest/' and downloaded the 6 specific .tbz files required for the subsonic installation via pkg_add (xtrans, xproto, xextproto, javavmwrapper, lame, flac, ffmpeg).

i was able to successfully run 'pkg_add -v /mnt/NAS/freeBSD/freeNAS_software/***.tbz' on some files and it installed fine, but other files seemed as if they would require a host of other files as well (a bunch of lib*** files...i saw them on that same site i visited, but didn't want to have to download each of them individually). it is my natural assumption that a successful pkg_add command would also install the required lib files pertaining to the requested command (in the same way that 'sudo apt-get install xx' will install additional files).

What is going on with my system as to why 'pkg_add' is not working? i feel like it was working in my previous version of FreeNAS (7.x) as i remember running 'pkg_add nano' successfully.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

ProtoSD

MVP
Are you trying to run it on your base FreeNAS system, or in a jail?

If you say base, I'll refer you to the FAQ.

msands

Cadet
Are you trying to run it on your base FreeNAS system, or in a jail?

If you say base, I'll refer you to the FAQ.

Hello and thank you for your reply. This installation is a full install, not embedded.

If you are speaking about entering 'mount -uw /' then i have attempted that and ended up with the same result.

ProtoSD

MVP
looking up ftp-archive.freebsd.org
Error: Unable to get ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/ports/i386/packages-8.2-release/Latest/flac.tbz: No address record
pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/ports/i386/packages-8.2-release/Latest/flac.tbz' by URL
pkg_add: 1 package addition(s) failed

There's not really any such thing as a full install, but if you mean you installed it to a hard drive instead of a flash drive, ok :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've tried to open the link in your quote above and it appears that repository is offline:

The webpage at ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/ports/i386/packages-8.2-release/Latest/flac.tbz: might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

I'm not sure why pkg_add or whatever mechanism that determines where packages are retrieved from doesn't redirect you to an active site. Strange.

You could try installing from ports, but I doubt your "full install" has the proper utilities installed to do it that way.

toddos

Contributor
There's not really any such thing as a full install, but if you mean you installed it to a hard drive instead of a flash drive, ok :rolleyes:

More importantly, even a "full install" to the hard drive is still an "embedded" install as far as FreeNAS 8 is concerned, and thus a plugin jail must still be installed to run software like subsonic. Based on the link for instructions, it looks like OP is following FreeNAS 7 instructions on an FreeNAS 8 machine, which will not work. If you're still using a FreeNAS 7 installation, you're in the wrong forum.

msands

Cadet
More importantly, even a "full install" to the hard drive is still an "embedded" install as far as FreeNAS 8 is concerned, and thus a plugin jail must still be installed to run software like subsonic. Based on the link for instructions, it looks like OP is following FreeNAS 7 instructions on an FreeNAS 8 machine, which will not work. If you're still using a FreeNAS 7 installation, you're in the wrong forum.

Thank you for your assistance toddos. Based off your comments, I'll probably just go ahead and reinstall FreeNAS 7. I upgraded to FreeNAS 8 thinking it was a natural upgrade from 7, but after reading your link, it appears that it is a seperate branch.

Again, thank you for your assistance.

msands

Cadet
@protosd

If i visit ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/ports/i386/packages-8.2-release/Latest/ i am able to see what should be the list of available packages to be downloaded to a freebsd based system.

after reading the link provided by toddos, it states that FreeNAS 7 was built off freebsd and FreeNAS 8 was based on nanoBSD, so it is my ASSumption that maybe the packages may not be as compatible as i would have believed.

my apologies, i didn't mean to clutter up your board with my misspeak and misinformation of a "full install"

have a wonderful evening. :D

ProtoSD

MVP
Don't worry, you're not alone in your confusedness ;)

The packages should be 100% compatible, FreeBSD and nanoBSD are identical in terms of packages. nanoBSD is just a very stripped down version of FreeBSD and its kernel.

It's still strange that you can see a list of files at that link, and for me it says the site is offline. Perhaps your FreeNAS system is having the same problem, though I can't think of a reason why right now.

msands

Cadet
i just happened to take a look at it (on my post, not on my actual freenas box, as it i am currently installing 7 on it) and it appears that the it adds a semi-colon (:) at the end of the /flack.tbz. when you try to click that link that was in my initial post, it will return a 'site offline' message. if you click the link in my previous post, you can get to the site that has the programs in question.

unfortunately, i am now unable to test and see if running the 'pkg_add' command actually returns the semi-colon on that line, although it SHOULD because i just copied and pasted.

toddos

Contributor
Thank you for your assistance toddos. Based off your comments, I'll probably just go ahead and reinstall FreeNAS 7. I upgraded to FreeNAS 8 thinking it was a natural upgrade from 7, but after reading your link, it appears that it is a seperate branch.

Again, thank you for your assistance.

NAS4Free (I linked to their forums) is the continuation of FreeNAS 7, built on FreeBSD 9 and with recent ZFS changes. If you prefer the FreeNAS 7-style of full installation, NAS4Free is the way to upgrade. As you've noticed, FreeNAS 8 is quite a different system, about as similar to FreeNAS 7 as Mac OS X was to Mac OS 9 (okay, not that drastic, but it is a significant change).

rirochet93

Cadet
yah.. i almost got the same problem.. when i trying to get into ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.3-release/Latest/
it said "This Webpage is not available..
then i try to google it..
untitled.jpg 1.jpg
am i on the wrong forum also??
sorry for my bad english ~.~'

Status
Not open for further replies.