Installing Squid on FreeNas 8.0.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucas Rey

Contributor
Hello guys,
on my previous FreeNas 7 (FULL installation) I succesfully installed Squid proxy.
Is there a way to install also on FreeNas 8.0.2?

I tried to make the same procedure, but this is the result:

Code:
[root@freenas] ~# pkg_add -r squid
Fetching ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8.2-release/Latest/squid.tbz... Done.
Fetching ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8.2-release/All/perl-5.10.1_3.tbz...
pkg_add: package 'perl-5.10.1_3' conflicts with perl-5.12.4
pkg_add: please use pkg_delete first to remove conflicting package(s) or -f to force installation
pkg_add: pkg_add of dependency 'perl-5.10.1_3' failed!

Well seems Perl package is already installed as newer version, so I tried to force installation (-f), but this time I got filesystem full:
/var: write failed, filesystem is full

I also tried to install on mount point:
[root@freenas] ~# pkg_add -r squid -P /mnt/mountest
But squid doesn't start because search its files in system folders like /etc, /usr/sbin, etc...
Maybe I miss some "alias" that point to the new location?

First of all, is there a way to extend system partition? Or at least, is there any specific procedure to install squid (or something else) in FreeNas 8??

Thanks!

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Lucas,

Version 8 is VERY different from version 7, so most of the tutorials you find for 7 won't work on 8. The only practical way to do this on version 8 is using a jail. People in general should start learning about Jails, because the Plug-in system for version 8.2 will use one or more of them.

Well seems Perl package is already installed as newer version...

This package isn't really installed, there are pieces of it installed to satisfy dependencies for other programs, but it's incomplete.

Take a look in the HowTo section, there are several tutorials for installing Apps in a Jail. The most basic one is for 'Streambaby'. You could adapt that to Squid, just leave out the Streambaby stuff and don't install Java.

Hope that helps

Lucas Rey

Contributor
Thank you protosd, this is a good start point... Your tutorial is not properly "most basic" :D but I'll try to learn the jail technique from there! ;)

EDIT: Got it! Your post about streambaby tutorial, point to another tutorial much more complicated! :D
Well, the streambaby one is quite simple... Let's now jail!!! ;)

Lucas Rey

Contributor
protosd, jail environment works perfect! Squid and other softwares are working without problem!
Thanks again for the tip! ;)

ProtoSD

MVP
Lucas,

I'm glad to hear you were able to easily adapt the Streambaby tutorial to get Squid working. Sorry about the wrong link, I fixed it. Jails overcome a lot of problems that people have when just trying to install stuff directly to their flash drives and messing up FreeNAS.

Thanks for the feedback!

mehstg

Cadet
Hey guys

Bot of a n00b to FreeNAS and FreeBSD. Have been playing with Linux for years though.

Had never come across the idea of Jails before, however I have been researching/playing with them for a couple of days trying to get Squid up and running on my FreeNAS box.

Probably a stupid question, but the IP you assign to a Jail....Is this an external IP address that other machines on the LAN use to access services on the Jail, or is it an internal reference for the host machine to access the Jail via. Ideally, I would like my Squid proxy to use the IP of the host, so I do not have different services using different IP's.

Also...is it completely necessary to run Squid in a jail and not on the host system? It seems overly complicated for a home system.

Thanks

Paul

campbela

Dabbler
protosd, jail environment works perfect! Squid and other softwares are working without problem!
Thanks again for the tip! ;)

Maybe you would like to post a 'how to' for the benefit of anyone else that would like to run Squid.

Status
Not open for further replies.