SOLVED Physical Interface for NFS on Same Subnet as GUI

Hi Folks - Slowly working through my Freenas implementation :)

I would like to use a free network interface on my server that is dedicated to NFS. My primary interface (for the management GUI) is on igb0 which is 192.168.20.170 on the 192.168.20.0/24 network. My ESXi server is also on the 192.168.20.0/24 network. I would like to dedicate one of the ESXi interfaces (e.g. virtual switch, etc.) to connect to the FreeNAS NFS share. I would like to keep using the 192.168.20.0/24 network but it seems that added another IP from the same net as the FreeNAS management network is not allowed (or do-able using the GUI).

What is the proper way to do this? I could, of course, add another VLAN with a different subnet but I'd rather not add another subnet. Suggestions?

TIA!

anmnz

Patron
That's what I thought... I read the post from @jgreco and thought that would be the case. Looks like either LACP or I will set up a seperate subnet for NFS...

melloa

Wizard
Also:

- The GUI allows for network interface management, so you could add and manage your interfaces from it (or from the console);
- What reason would you want to do that? Bandwidth? You wouldn't be using the management port for anything but occasional management, so no impact. If security, as I have, all servers management nics are on a different network and only my workstation has access to them.

I ended up doing that was a "round-to-it": I was meaning to set up a seperate subnet for storage and I finally got "round-to-it".