Permissions not saved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjoern

Cadet
Dear all,

I am currently recovering from a fatal error (non-ECC RAM) and am now trying to setup FreeNAS 9.2.1.8 from scratch. I started with FreeNAS 9.2.1.3 and set up all permissions, user accounts, groups etc. according to some simplified instruction easily found here in the forum and on the net. Everything was working fine with these tutorials.

This time nothing works. What I try to do: Setting up some user, incl. one admin account, all with their own home directory (ZFS datasets); some shares which I want to share among all users (ZFS datasets with a second layer of datasets), some shares which I want to restrict access to (some of the second layer datasets). I want to share it exclusivly to Windows hosts (Win7 and Win8.1) and via miniDLNA our TV.

Basically what happens: I have access on everything or I have access on nothing. I can't limit any permission below that.
What is kind of funny: When I change any permission with a check-box (these nine check-boxes representing rwx for Owner/ Group/ Other) they are not saved! Next time I open it everything is checked again except the "write/ other" (so actually the full standard setting).

I am pretty sure that this behaviour is not correct but I am absolutly stuck and don't know to go on.

I'd be very happy about an answer 'cause I spend already a hole night with searching the forum and Google.

Thank you very much in adavane!

Edit: Ah, I didn't get it yet but I have another clue: From the line "freenas notifier: chmod: ... Operation not permitted" I was able to Google to an answer that most likely Smaba4 is the root cause and all the changes coming with it.
Maybe I have to go back to FreeNAS 9.2.1.3 if there is no easy way to set up these kind of permissions as I didn't find any tutorial on this yet. Hmpf!

Edit2: Oh, Samba4 is active much longer ... I guess my previous thought is just wrong.

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Dear all,

I am currently recovering from a fatal error (non-ECC RAM) and am now trying to setup FreeNAS 9.2.1.8 from scratch. I started with FreeNAS 9.2.1.3 and set up all permissions, user accounts, groups etc. according to some simplified instruction easily found here in the forum and on the net. Everything was working fine with these tutorials.

This time nothing works. What I try to do: Setting up some user, incl. one admin account, all with their own home directory (ZFS datasets); some shares which I want to share among all users (ZFS datasets with a second layer of datasets), some shares which I want to restrict access to (some of the second layer datasets). I want to share it exclusivly to Windows hosts (Win7 and Win8.1) and via miniDLNA our TV.

Basically what happens: I have access on everything or I have access on nothing. I can't limit any permission below that.
What is kind of funny: When I change any permission with a check-box (these nine check-boxes representing rwx for Owner/ Group/ Other) they are not saved! Next time I open it everything is checked again except the "write/ other" (so actually the full standard setting).

I am pretty sure that this behaviour is not correct but I am absolutly stuck and don't know to go on.

I'd be very happy about an answer 'cause I spend already a hole night with searching the forum and Google.

Thank you very much in adavane!

Edit: Ah, I didn't get it yet but I have another clue: From the line "freenas notifier: chmod: ... Operation not permitted" I was able to Google to an answer that most likely Smaba4 is the root cause and all the changes coming with it.
Maybe I have to go back to FreeNAS 9.2.1.3 if there is no easy way to set up these kind of permissions as I didn't find any tutorial on this yet. Hmpf!

Edit2: Oh, Samba4 is active much longer ... I guess my previous thought is just wrong.
When ACL type on a dataset is set to "Windows" chmod operations are not permitted. This is to prevent you from breaking ACLs on the dataset. The proper way to configure permissions is through setfacl (locally, which is rather annoying) or through windows explorer on a Windows client (which is quite pleasant). Just right-click on the folder / share, click properties, then click on the security tab. Adjust permissions like you would on any Windows server.

On a side note, samba behaves itself very nicely in this respect. I tasked a windows admin with setting permissions on shares a few months ago and he was able to do it without any guidance. I asked if there were any hiccups, and he gave me a look like I asked him whether he knew how to tie his shoes.

Bjoern

Cadet
Dear anodos,

thank you very much for your reply and explaination. I will try this.

There are just some things I don't understand. Why did it work in a FreeNAS build which is (in my perspective) very close to the my used one? And why does the GUI tries to use chmod even if it is deemed to fail?

Well, maybe I am not really waiting for an answer on this and rather this under "a very steep learning curve in the beginning".

A last question. I think that I did everything I found in tutorials about sharing in this forum (even the sharing for dummies) - are these tutorials are completely useless with FreeNAS v9.2.1.8 or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you very much again and looking forward to a (possibly last) reply.
Bjoern

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Dear anodos,
There are just some things I don't understand. Why did it work in a FreeNAS build which is (in my perspective) very close to the my used one?
The decision to change the zfs aclmode property of datasets with "windows" ACL type was made after 9.2.1.3.

And why does the GUI tries to use chmod even if it is deemed to fail?
Once the permissions type has been changed to "windows", it cannot easily be changed back to "unix". The GUI doesn't really reflect this. If the permissions type is set correctly, then the gui options to change permissions should be grayed-out. But don't worry too much. You should be using Windows ACLS.

A last question. I think that I did everything I found in tutorials about sharing in this forum (even the sharing for dummies) - are these tutorials are completely useless with FreeNAS v9.2.1.8 or am I doing something wrong?
Most samba (windows file sharing) tutorials are fairly useless. They are either (1) outdated, (2) don't apply to FreeNAS, or (3) are written by people who don't understand samba very well.

Bjoern

Cadet
Again, thank you very much!

I am now following your guide more or less to the point ... I am progressing and learning about how to use Users and Groups correctly.

Another, and hopefully, last question. In your guide, your last step is "chmod 1777 ." (I guess to set all current files and folders to rwx plus a sticky bit to prevent deletion by anybody but the owner) - ok, this does not work anymore - is this step still neccessary or is it already applied via the Share's option "Apply Default Permissions"?

Again, thank you

Edit: Well, I read through your post completely and I will just follow the "correct path" (Shares with Windows permissions and their setup within Windows via the Security tab) - I am sorry for these possibly dump question 'till now. I will try to write a small how-to on how I do it exactly to help others in the same situation like me.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.