Permissions and Jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip Sprague

Dabbler
This has been my approach to directories and permissions on a Linux server: http://imgur.com/a/83fLq

[1] What adaptations would you make when converting to FreenNAS? And any ideas on how can that be tightened up?

[2] Source and Destination for jails. I'm having a heck of a time with this... Is the following a correct understanding?

Jail Root = Where the data in the jails lives. E.g. /drive2/jails

Source = The ONLY thing outside the jail that the jail can see E.g./pool1/parentdir/downloads

Destination = The jail's internal mount point for the source E.g. /media inside the jail is actually /pool1/parentdir/downloads

danb35

Hall of Famer
Your understanding sounds correct. Put differently, if you want /pool1/parentdir/downloads to appear inside your jail as /media, you'd enter /pool1/parentdir/downloads as the source, and /media as the destination when configuring storage for that jail.

Chip Sprague

Dabbler
Got it. So do I need to move /purgatory up in to /temp and then make /temp my Source? Because I need to be able to see /watch and /purgatory from the jail?

Put differently, I'd end up with /temp/purgatory, /temp/watch/ and /temp/appcache all being used by the jails

nojohnny101

Wizard
you don't have to move the referenced storage if I am understanding you correctly.

The jail can be "linked" to any dataset regardless of location.

Chip Sprague

Dabbler
you don't have to move the referenced storage if I am understanding you correctly.

The jail can be "linked" to any dataset regardless of location.

Thanks. In my previous scheme I had Purgatory (downloads) as a "top level" directory and Watch was under a different top level. From what I understand though, with FreeNAS, both Watch and Downloads need to be under the same directory.

nojohnny101

Wizard
From what I understand though, with FreeNAS, both Watch and Downloads need to be under the same directory.
I don't understand what you are saying. Do you mean they both have to be a subset of the same dataset?

Chip Sprague

Dabbler
I think so. On my Linux server I had:
/mnt/raid5/purgatory (downloads)
/mnt/raid5/tempappcache (where apps did their partials business)
/mnt/raid5/watch (apps monitor this folder)
(you can see a more detailed dir structure in the image linked in the OP)

The apps did not have permissions to read/modify anything else on /mnt/raid5

What I am saying is that in FreeNAS, because of the way jails work, I would need to make one of two changes:
A straight mapping of my old structure would be to have /mnt/pool1/purgatory, /mnt/pool1/temp/tempappcache and /mnt/pool1/temp/watch <---That would require I make the jail source /mnt/pool1 (because you can only have one source and /mnt/pool1 is the only thing high enough to catch all three of the needed working sub directories)

OR

I could move Purgatory under temp: /mnt/pool1/temp/purgatory, /mnt/pool1/temp/watch/ and /mnt/pool1/temp/appcache and then just make /mnt/pool1/temp the jail source.

Have I got it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.