Freenas storage, volume, jails, source and destination questions !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

T_T

Explorer
Hi!
I'm currently running freeNAS and was hoping to put around 10x 4TB in the system and would prefer to create it as raidZ2. My question are:
- Should I have 1 or 2 parity drive. I have 32gb of ram so the 10 HDD would be good for 2 parity drives so I can meet the standard of having 1GB of ram for every 1TB.
- I'm also planning on installing some plugins (plex and nextcloud for sure) and probably want to have to ability to do some VMs later on. How would I set up the storage? would I set it up as 1 big volume and then create dataset for plex, another dataset for nextcloud, and so on. For example (where -> indicate the arrow in storage section of freenas)
-> ONE_BIG_VOL
-> ONE_BIG_VOL
Plex_dataset
Nextcloud_dataset
-> Jails
PlexPlugin
NextCloudPlugin
- I do not know if this would be a good set up. Also, when I try to add storage into nextcloud and plex. There is a source and destination which I have no idea what they mean. I did some research but the answer seem to be very confusing. It's like everyone is telling me a different thing. From What I understand. Source is where the data is stored outside of the jail (for example like all the music, movies and documents, which in this case would be located in the plex_dataset or Nexcloud_dataset right? I'm having trouble understanding the destination. but from what I was reading. it's the location that allow the jail to access the media folder. That really make no sense to me. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Should I have 1 or 2 parity drive.
RAIDZ2 is two parity drives, and you definitely should have (at least) that many.
the standard of having 1GB of ram for every 1TB.
This is a deliberately-vague rule of thumb, and one of the deliberately vague issues is whether it applies to net or gross capacity. For most cases, 32 GB would be plenty.
Source is where the data is stored outside of the jail (for example like all the music, movies and documents, which in this case would be located in the plex_dataset or Nexcloud_dataset right?
Right.
I'm having trouble understanding the destination.
Destination is the place inside the jail where that data would be visible. There really isn't a right or wrong answer for where this should be, as long as you can tell the jail where it will be. Usually that would be under /mnt/ or /media/ inside the jail.

T_T

Explorer
Destination is the place inside the jail where that data would be visible. There really isn't a right or wrong answer for where this should be, as long as you can tell the jail where it will be. Usually that would be under /mnt/ or /media/ inside the jail.

Ah. I see. Can I make a 2 separate folder within the mnt/media? 1 for nextcloud and 1 for plex. So the destination would be mnt/media/Plex and mnt/media/nexcloud ?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can I make a 2 separate folder within the mnt/media? 1 for nextcloud and 1 for plex.
You could, but those would typically be in two separate jails, and each jail would have its own filesystem. So, in the Plex jail, you could have /media/movies, /media/tv, /media/music, etc. In the Nextcloud jail, you'd have (for example) /media/files.

Reactions: T_T

T_T

Explorer
You could, but those would typically be in two separate jails, and each jail would have its own filesystem. So, in the Plex jail, you could have /media/movies, /media/tv, /media/music, etc. In the Nextcloud jail, you'd have (for example) /media/files.

So what you are saying is when I browse for the destination, the mnt/media folder are already 2 different folder?
I'm trying to keep them organize, the I wouldn't want a whole bunch of mix folders inside the media folder. For example:
/mnt/media would not contain movies, tv, music, and files (of nextcloud). I want to keep all the plex stuff separate from the nextcloud stuff. I'm not following where you're heading. Would I need to make different jail for each of the plug in I install ?
-> ONE_BIG_VOL
-> ONE_BIG_VOL
Plex_dataset
Nextcloud_dataset
-> Jail_1
PlexPlugin
-> Jail_2
NextCloudPlugin

danb35

Hall of Famer

T_T

Explorer
Every plugin is automatically installed in its own jail.
so you're saying that with the configuration I had:

-> ONE_BIG_VOL
-> ONE_BIG_VOL
Plex_dataset
Nextcloud_dataset
-> Jails
PlexPlugin
NextCloudPlugin

the mnt/media folder would already be 2 separate folder. 1 for plex and 1 for nextcloud. They do not mix together by any mean even if I set the destination of plex and nextcould to mnt/media ?

danb35

Hall of Famer
mnt/media folder would already be 2 separate folder. 1 for plex and 1 for nextcloud. They do not mix together by any mean even if I set the destination of plex and nextcould to mnt/media ?
Correct.

Reactions: T_T
Status
Not open for further replies.