Permission woes between Radarr, Qbittorrent and Plex all in jails

gunnahafta

Dabbler
I am struggling to work this problem out and I bet its something easy I just cant figure it out.

Details of current system:

One pool called Vol. Folder structure looks like Vol1\Media\Movies

I have 3 jails (radarr, qbittorrent and plex). All 3 have the above path setup as a mount point to /mnt in each jail.

I search and add movies in radarr. Radarr creates a folder on /mnt for the movie. Lets say something like /mnt/Movie (2020). Radarr sends it to qbittorrent and qbittorrent starts its download creating a folder for the downloads which may be slightly different e.g. /mnt/movie_1080p.mkv

The trouble starts when the download finishes. Radarr doesn't move the file into the folder it created /mnt/Movie (2020) Instead the "temp" folder created by qbittorrent remains.

I'm not sure if this is a config issue or a permissions issue. Any ideas?

Yes its a permissions issue and is covered extensively in these forums. So what you have happening is your jails all use a different user/group to read and write this data. For instance Plex uses the Plex user, radarr uses the radarr user, But plex isnt aware of a user called radarr and vice versa. So when it goes to do things to these files it cant.. Lots of users get around this by chmodding -R 777 to the directory, but this only works for existing files. All new files will continue having these issues.

Your life would be so much easier if you install all of these "like" softwares in the same jail, instead of having multiple jails handling your media. For instance i run Plex and Tautulli in a jail, SAB, CP, Sonarr, HP in a jail, Apache PHP SQL in a jail, Openvpn and transmission in a jail. Having a single jail for each is a nightmare. While easier to "break" it will make your life alot easier in the longrun chasing these perm issues around. Then there is only one rc.conf to edit, mountpoints, directories, etc..

If this makes sense id help you further, but read this first.. This is the document that made it all make sense for me once upon a time..

And another I found..

Last edited:

JaimieV

Guru
I keep mine in different jails, but I go into them on the command line and manually edit the userID+groupID of the app's user+group (in the jail's /etc/passwd and /etc/group) to the same IDs as my share user for the media share. Plus setting ownerships on all their files in the jails to the new IDs. Then start them up, if you've caught everything all will be well.

Considerable potential to mess things up, but then it's only a jail and you can bin/revert it.