Permission and SMB sharing problems

Zoing

Cadet
I'm completely new to servers and i've learned that it is easier to just ask when there is something problematic.

So recently i made my own FreeNAS and it worked really good (for a while). Suddenly was not able to drop files into the server shortcut on my desktop shortcut. It says that i does not have permission... So i randomly restarted the server and the permissions where good for a while, after about 15 mins the problem was back..
I hope this is an easy task because i have minimal experience and skills with servers:)

-Zoing

jro

iXsystems
iXsystems
Assuming you're running SMB shares connected to Windows, try editing the permissions on the share's dataset. In the UI, go to Storage > Pools, expand your pool, find your share's dataset, click the 3 dots on the right side of the screen, and select "Edit Permissions". Set the ACL type to "Windows", pick the user and group you're using to connect to the share, check the "Apply permissions recursively" box, and hit "Save".

On the Windows machine where you have the share mounted, you can check/modify the permissions for either the whole mount or individual folders/files by opening the properties dialogue and going to the "Permissions" tab.

Let me know what you find out and we'll go from there :)

Zoing

Cadet
I actually found out what the problem was, kind of... The reason to why i say kind of is because i just connected to the server using the server domain. For example: \\FreeNAS instead of \\10.0.0.100... Then i just logged in with the user and everything worked. So i dont know if any of this is just random but it works now:)

Thanks for taking your time and try to help me!