First FreeNAS build and experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

nut

Cadet
Early in May our old storage system running Nexenta 3 Community Edition began to go haywire, luckily I had a new storage system in my budget this year, so I started researching what I wanted for the new system.

I recently refurbished another server from openfiler to Freenas, but this is an easy backupserver with no load. So I decided to try Freenas on this system.

I opted for a Dell R730 server with E5-2620 v3, 64 GB RAM, and PERC H330 with no disks from Dell, but with two sd cards in mirror for freenas os. I got 7 Samsung 845DC Pros for a quite good price, so I went for those. I have set them up as tre sets of mirrors within one volume. This system will be the nfs storage for our vmware servers. At the moment it is around 20 virtual servers. On the old server I did the error to set up 6 drives as a zraid1, not good for performance for the usage we got.

The migration of the virtual servers started on monday, and it went really smooth, until the last one. The performance to copy the server files was abysmal (around 40 Mbps). I really can't understand why it was that slow, but the old server was struggeling quite a lot, so I blame that!

Every server is now up and running smoothly and the systems are quite a lot snappier than before. I repurposed the old nexenta server today with Freenas for a replication server. This server is a Dell R515 with 2x Opteron 4130 with 32 GB RAM, and 6 Seagate Cheetah 15k7 600 GB drives. I also got a 400 GB 845DC Pro that I set up as a ZIL for that server.

One thing I hope that will be improved is the setup of LACP, it is not possible to get it running without rebooting the system after I set it up in the console. And on the R730 it was a bit annoying that the network adaptors did not correspond to the correct numbers in FreeNAS. For example the 1 adapter on the server is bge2 and not bge0 as it should.

This server is now also set up as tre sets of mirrors. Immidiately Freenas was complaining about two of the drives that was on the way of failing because of the SMART module. This is something Nexenta should have! I have ran scrubs weekly on the old system, and had replaced 2 drives in that system the last two years. I had a spare and replaced one of the drives that freenas was complaining about. It is so much easier to change and replace the drives in freenas than in nexenta. Really happy about that!

One thing I would like to have more of in Freenas that Nexenta got is more drive statistics, awaiting read, write precentage busy, how many writes and reads each drives does and so on. Most of this is available trough CLI, but I would like some of it in GUI, this was one of the main places I looked in the nexenta setup when looking for problems.

It could also be nice to have more zfs options so that I could tune the recordsize and other nifty options in nexenta.

Other than that I do like that FreeNAS is easier to update, more updates, easier to get running, better information about the disks and smart errors, easier to replace drives. But the most important one for us is that the replication feature is way better than the tier feature in nexenta to have a "backup" of the running servers! I haven't testet that feature out a lot, but as far as it have worked today while setting it up and replicated every snapshot made on the new server to the repurposed old server in a breeze it looks fabulous for our needs. So I have set up the snapshot task to take a snapshot every hour during working hours tonight, it will be interesting to see how it is working tomorrow.

This setup is quite a overkill for our needs at the moment, but the old setup lacked a lot in performance, so I wanted this one to be a lot faster, and the price was actually really good when I sourced the SSDs myself instead of letting Dell put them in for me.

I will be able to run some performance tests if someone is interested, let me know what commands I should run to test the system.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What firmware is the Perc H330 running?

nut

Cadet
Stock Dell firmware, 25.2.2-0004. Will keep it stock, it looks like it works just fine in JBOD. H330 is a LSI 3008 controller

But I will upgrade the controller in the backupserver, FreeNAS is complaining that the firmware version does not match the driver version. The backup server is using the PERC H200, I will upgrade it to a newer Dell firmware. Dell is somewhat picky about what raid controllers that can run in Dell servers. Especially in the dedicated raid slot.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
But I will upgrade the controller in the backupserver, FreeNAS is complaining that the firmware version does not match the driver version. The backup server is using the PERC H200, I will upgrade it to a newer Dell firmware. Dell is somewhat picky about what raid controllers that can run in Dell servers. Especially in the dedicated raid slot.
Make sure it's P16 IT mode.

Stock Dell firmware, 25.2.2-0004. Will keep it stock, it looks like it works just fine in JBOD. H330 is a LSI 3008 controller
Surprising, given that Dell says it's hardware RAID only. SMART is working fine, no individual RAID0 per drive shenanigans?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

nut

Cadet
There is no individual raid0 in this setup. Both the H200 and the H330 works just fine with no setup in the raid controller. When hot plugging new drives they are available immidiately in freenas with full access to the drives.

Btw the replication feature seems to work awsome! Once an hour is no problem at all, So i might even take a snapshot/replication even more often than that as well.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There is no individual raid0 in this setup. Both the H200 and the H330 works just fine with no setup in the raid controller. When hot plugging new drives they are available immidiately in freenas with full access to the drives.

Btw the replication feature seems to work awsome! Once an hour is no problem at all, So i might even take a snapshot/replication even more often than that as well.

Can you post a "camcontrol devlist" showing the devices? Just kinda curious...

nut

Cadet
This is from the H200:
camcontrol devlist
<SEAGATE ST3600057SS ES64> at scbus0 target 11 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
<SEAGATE ST3600057SS 0008> at scbus0 target 12 lun 0 (pass1,da1)
<SEAGATE ST3600057SS ES64> at scbus0 target 13 lun 0 (pass2,da2)
<SEAGATE ST3600057SS 000B> at scbus0 target 14 lun 0 (pass3,da3)
<SEAGATE ST3600057SS ES64> at scbus0 target 15 lun 0 (pass4,da4)
<SEAGATE ST3600057SS 000B> at scbus0 target 16 lun 0 (pass5,da5)

<ATA Samsung SSD 845D 0X3Q> at scbus0 target 23 lun 0 (pass7,da7)

And here is a smart output of one of the devices:
smartctl -a /dev/da1
smartctl 6.3 2014-07-26 r3976 [FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p13 amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-14, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor: SEAGATE
Product: ST3600057SS
Revision: 0008
User Capacity: 600,127,266,816 bytes [600 GB]
Logical block size: 512 bytes
Rotation Rate: 15000 rpm
Form Factor: 3.5 inches
Logical Unit id: 0x5000c5005a79283f
Serial number: 6SL56WR90000B317011V
Device type: disk
Transport protocol: SAS (SPL-3)
Local Time is: Thu Jun 4 12:55:08 2015 CEST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled
Temperature Warning: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Health Status: OK

Current Drive Temperature: 48 C
Drive Trip Temperature: 68 C

Elements in grown defect list: 0

Vendor (Seagate) cache information
Blocks sent to initiator = 138275
Blocks received from initiator = 5751763
Blocks read from cache and sent to initiator = 25118
Number of read and write commands whose size <= segment size = 20902
Number of read and write commands whose size > segment size = 0

Vendor (Seagate/Hitachi) factory information
number of hours powered up = 17678.50
number of minutes until next internal SMART test = 9

Error counter log:
Errors Corrected by Total Correction Gigabytes Tot al
ECC rereads/ errors algorithm processed unc orrected
fast | delayed rewrites corrected invocations [10^9 bytes] err ors
read: 7916 0 0 7916 7916 0.071 0
write: 0 0 0 0 0 2.949 0

Non-medium error count: 0

[GLTSD (Global Logging Target Save Disable) set. Enable Save with '-S on']
No self-tests have been logged

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well okay then, that's interestingly different.
Well, the H200 is supposed to be IT only. It's the H330 that surprises me.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
after all these years, I am still confused about that LSI card!

nut

Cadet
;) That server was less than one day old when I ran that command

btw, the replication feature. I can see that no snapshots are saved on the backupserver, do I need to add snapshot tasks on the backup server as well, or will it begin to sync two ways? The backup server will be a passive server that should not send anything to the regular server.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
btw, the replication feature. I can see that no snapshots are saved on the backupserver, do I need to add snapshot tasks on the backup server as well, or will it begin to sync two ways?
I don't think you want to set up snapshots on the backup server, as that could cause the replication to fail. Did you check "Recursively replicate and remove stale snapshot on remote side:" on the replication task?

viniciusferrao

Contributor
nut, I'm with a H330 with the Stock DELL firmware and even in HBA mode it present the devices as mfisyspdX which is not ideal. How to do you managed to get smart working on this?

And I'm in trouble trying to flash this card to IT mode, even with the chipset being the SAS 3008 which is a HBA chipset.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Making an LSI 3008 card work as an HBA in MFI mode? Trying to make it work under mfi might or might not work, and is probably a bad idea. Can you approach Dell support to see if they have IT firmware available for it?

viniciusferrao

Contributor
Making an LSI 3008 card work as an HBA in MFI mode? Trying to make it work under mfi might or might not work, and is probably a bad idea. Can you approach Dell support to see if they have IT firmware available for it?

They have, but DELL is also know as HELL. When we bought the machine they said they only can sell the machine with the PERC Controller. They cannot put an LSI 9300-8i instead.

The firmware is located here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=XKWP8

But I haven't any success yet with it.

viniciusferrao

Contributor
It just won't flash? Or ...?

Well, sas3flash.efi does not work out of the box complaining about no "Avago Hardware found". So I think I need to use megarec first to clear the sbr and reflash the card.

But after booting with FreeDOS and running megarec.exe I'm stuck with: "Warning! IO Base address high. Currently not supported."

Status
Not open for further replies.