FreeNAS 11.1 -U6 crashing or "unscheduled system reboots"

ctphillips

Dabbler
My Dell R510 running FreeNAS 11.1-U6 has been crashing periodically. Most recently, the unit ran for just under 3 weeks before suddenly crashing again this afternoon. If this were hardware, I'd expect this to happen more often. Instead, I get weeks of trouble free operation followed by a sudden reboot.

The last time it happened I figured out how to make /var/log/messages persistent across reboots, so at least I have that. There's no detail however preceding this most recent crash which occurred at about 3:14 PM today.

Here are some details:
  • 48 GB of ECC RAM
  • Dual Xeon E5620 processors
  • 3 Jails:
    • Plex
    • Transmission (with OpenVPN)
    • Sonarr (I don't use it, so the jail is stopped)
  • 1 Virtual machine:
    • Ubuntu 16.04 running PiHole and a MATE desktop
    • I access this VM nearly every day via NoMachine
I realize this is not ideal, but I also have a USB backup disk attached to the machine. I have a cron task configured to backup critical files such as family photos once a month.

This is my third FreeNAS server and I have not encountered these issues previously. However, the other servers were much simpler - they just ran file services and Plex. I only recently learned how to add Transmission with a VPN and the Ubuntu VM. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• messages.txt
    102.9 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:

Alecmascot

Guru
I would upgrade to 11.2-U6 first.....

kspare

Guru
i've been seeing this is 11.2U6 as well.....

D

dlavigne

@ctphillips it's hard to tell without analyzing a full debug. If you decide to create a report at bugs.ixsystems.com, post the issue number here.

ctphillips

Dabbler
For the record, this issue turned out to be due to my USB backup disk. Once I removed the USB disk from the equation, the regular crashing stopped.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
USB backup disks should not panic the machine. Are you still running the older FreeNAS version on that? We definitely don't recommend USB disks, but loss of an I/O device causing a panic is still unacceptable in my book... I/O devices are crummy devices that just DO that now and then. It has to be robust. It would be interesting to know what's causing it.

ctphillips

Dabbler
USB backup disks should not panic the machine. Are you still running the older FreeNAS version on that? We definitely don't recommend USB disks, but loss of an I/O device causing a panic is still unacceptable in my book... I/O devices are crummy devices that just DO that now and then. It has to be robust. It would be interesting to know what's causing it.
I recently updated the machine to 12.0-U7 which is why I revisited the forums again. I disconnected the USB disk back in late 2019 or early 2020 and this resolved the crashing. I can try again under 12.0-U7 and see if things have improved. While the USB disk was attached all the time, the backups ran in the form of a cron task only once a month.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If you can capture a crash, it is worth filing a Jira bug report on it, in my opinion. This should not happen, and it suggests bad things could happen for USB-attached boot disks too.