Rebooting or Crashing Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haktar

Cadet
Hey,

Iv'e had a freenas server for quite a few years now, I use it mostly for plex and transmission with no issues for the most part, although a few things have changed in recent days and now I'm having random reboots and I'm struggling to narrow it down to the exact cause, my server consisted of;

300w PSU
4 HDDS and 2 SSD's
8GB of ram

recently I have added;

500w PSU
2 HDD'S
8GB of Ram (Not new, from my gf's computer after she upgraded to 2 x 8gb sticks)

as it stands just now it has;

500w PSU
6 Core AMD
6HDD'S and 2 SSD'S
16GB (4x4gb)

So my issues started with plex, streaming to the bed room raspberrypi it was stuttering which it never did, I put it down to too many people streaming from the server, there where 5 at the time I believe, since then I've been experiencing random reboots, I've checked /var/log/messages and it shows nothing of importance that I can see although I felt like it was struggling under load but it has rebooted at a load 0.40, then the day after FreeNas gave me this error;

One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.

A zpool status -v showed the error was relating to one of the new 4TB drives and a particular file on it was corrupt, so I deleted the file, ran zpool scrub Anne and the error went away.

I tried removing the extra 8gb I had installed but the reboots continued and last night I received the same error but on a different drive, one I've had for a year or so now and its been quite solid otherwise, so I went up the loft to just watch it for a while and see if anything was outputted to the screen when it rebooted, if it was controlled or not but sods law it didn't reboot for the 30 min I was watching it.

Last night I ran memtest86 for about 14 hours, I know its not the full run but I've found errors usually show by then, it completed the first pass and all 4 sticks where okay.

Really I'm looking for any advice on any commands or tests I can run if possible to narrow this down, I'm 99% sure at this point its the new PSU that's the culprit although when I was up the loft last night there was alot of activity from people trying to brute force my ssh password, could they potentially be ddosing by box?

SSH is off now and the times I've went up the loft after a reboot nothing has been hot to the touch so I'm certain it isn't a heat issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, sorry the long post, I just wanted to cover what I had tried.

Edit: Iv'e just noticed my system loads are quite erratic, watching two plex videos its went from 0.22 to 2.75 for no apparent reason

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Check your power supply.

Check your motherboard for blown capacitors.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
PSU, with probability 92.118%

Haktar

Cadet
Thanks for the reply's fellas, caps are fine, the board actually isn't that old it was fitted not long ago to replace one with bad caps, I always tell people to get a good power supply as well and I skimped out, I was worried 300w wouldn't be enough for the new hdd's so I just got a bronze rated one to tide me over for a bit, are there any PSU's you could recommend with a decent amount of sata connectors, I don't need gpu connectors or anything I've had a look but not seen anything specific for a reasonable price

Status
Not open for further replies.