FreeNAS Crashing During File Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheme

Cadet
I have been using FreeNAS for about a month on a new system I specifically built for a NAS. Everything has been working great the entire time until today were, upon trying to write about 3 GB worth of videos, FreeNAS keeps crashing. I first saw this as in error in Windows file transfer saying an unknown error occurred. After further investigation, FreeNAS is rebooting (the uptime goes back to 0). The fan goes on real high for about 2 seconds, then it reboots.

This also happens on reads from a different computer. Any large file transfer is causing a reboot.

I have searched online for quite some time and can find nothing on this issue. Where do I even begin looking for a problem?

gpsguy

Please post detailed hardware information and version of FreeNAS you are using.

cheme

Cadet
Running version 11.1-RELEASE

Base Board Information
Manufacturer: ASRock
Product Name: Z270M Extreme4

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 8GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C16 (PC4-19200)

HDD: 3 x WD Red 3TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD30EFRX

Boot Drive: SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 32GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-032G-B35

Last edited:

cheme

Cadet
So, after hours of messing around I think I have found the problem. It appears I have a bad stick of RAM. Haven't been able to reproduce the issue (which was VERY reproducible by just copying a bunch of files from the NAS) since pulling it. I moved it around to different slots on the MOBO and the problem follows the RAM. The reason why I didn't see this in the first month of use is because I only added these last 2 sticks of RAM last week and haven't had much use with the NAS since then.

I am not sure what is actually wrong with the RAM, all I know is it crashes FreeNAS when reading or writing files at greater than 100 MB/s.

As a follow-up question, why does my RAM usage go to 100% when copying a file at gigabit speeds?

toadman

Guru
As a follow-up question, why does my RAM usage go to 100% when copying a file at gigabit speeds?

I imagine the system is filling up the ARC if it wasn't full before. The max size is probably 1GB less than the total installed memory unless you changed a tunable value somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.