Permanet errors have been detected in the following files.

radek

Cadet
Hi.
I am a fresh user of TrueNas. Our service without a question started to change the UPS and so unplugged the machine on which TrueNas is running. After rebooting, it shows the following error:

Code:
root@VN1[/dev/zvol/dyski]# zpool status -xv
  pool: dyski
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
        corruption.  Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
        entire pool from backup.
   see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 05:54:48 with 0 errors on Sun Jul 25 05:54:50 2021
config:

NAME                                          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        dyski                                         DEGRADED     0     0     0
          gptid/3214729a-f290-11ea-8fde-1cc1deeb6964  DEGRADED     0 
too many errors

errors: Permanet errors have been detected in the following files:

dyski/vh1_dysk:<0x1>
dyski/vh2_dysk:<0x1>

Version trueNAS 12.0-U2.1 Hardware: HP proliant with raid P-40 driver with raid5 with spear set the disks on the driver show normal. TrueNAS will report that the pool is DEGRADED. I am asking for help in removing this failure. I believe that my English is not very good.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Your English is fine.

You cannot use a RAID controller with FreeNAS/TrueNAS. ZFS expects direct access to your disks, and ZFS expects to act as your RAID controller.

When you hide your disks behind a different hardware RAID controller, ZFS cannot access redundant data and ZFS cannot rebuild errors when it finds them, so your pool is now corrupt since there are errors that are not correctable within it.

The following article discusses Host Bus Adapters, the way you need to be attaching your disks:

https://www.truenas.com/community/r...bas-and-why-cant-i-use-a-raid-controller.139/

radek

Cadet
Am I to understand that at the moment I would have to rebuild everything in order for ZFS to fix similar bugs in the future? I do not hide that it will be a big problem because I cannot afford downtime in the company too much.

Arwen

MVP
ZFS was specifically designed to survive an unexpected power failure, like what you experienced. (You might loose files in transit, but any file system would experience the same.) However, that assumes their are no underlying hardware problems, which does include a hardware RAID controller.

Some people have a bad experience with ZFS, but in many cases it's due to hardware design, pool design and in some cases out right user mistake.