Per-share custom AFP settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjp4756

Contributor
I'm currently checking out 9.3-beta in vmware. It's looking pretty good. Can't wait until final release.

On my 9.2.1.8 home server I am using AFP only for time machine backups. I like to use the 'vol size limit' setting for the time machine share. On 9.2.1.8 I had to hack that in to the generate_afp_conf script.

According to https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/1911 Jordan says "We have global option setting capability for AFP now and, as noted, per-share options can also be specified." How do you actually do this in 9.3? Or is this something that isn't quite implemented yet? I see how to add global options in AFP settings.

Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The global settings are on the AFP settings page and the same is true for the AFP shares.

kjp4756

Contributor
All I see on the AFP settings page is "Global auxiliary parameters". I don't see anything for per-share. There is nothing about per-share settings on the share settings advanced page either.

Or, do I simply add per-share settings under global aux paramters?

Like this:

[Share name]
vol size limit = 500000

EDIT: Never mind, that didn't work. It put it under global.

[Global]
uam list = uams_dhx.so uams_dhx2.so
max connections = 50
mimic model = RackMac
vol dbnest = yes
[storage]
vol size limit = 5000

[storage]
path = /mnt/storage
time machine = yes
cnid dev = no
file perm = 644
directory perm = 755
umask = 000
veto files = .windows/.mac/

J

jkh

I was wrong - there's nothing that helps per-share folks with that change. Sorry. I've re-opened the bug with suitable comments.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Bah.. I actually had written that I looked and it was gone, but somehow dropped the ball and didn't submit the reply. Glad we got that sorted out though. :)

rogerh

Guru
It is entirely possible that I have missed something, but if your Time Machine share is a dataset with a quota OS X 10.8 (the only version I've tested) then Time Machine recognises that quota. Which seems to satisfactorily to solve the problem. BICBW

kjp4756

Contributor
It is entirely possible that I have missed something, but if your Time Machine share is a dataset with a quota OS X 10.8 (the only version I've tested) then Time Machine recognises that quota. Which seems to satisfactorily to solve the problem. BICBW
Looks like the quota method will work with os x 10.10. I didn't think zfs quotas worked that way. I thought it would show the entire available pool space and then give a disk full message once the quota was reached. It turns out if I set the quota to say 5GB then finder in mac shows only 5GB available. Perfect. Thanks!

rogerh

Guru
Good to know it still works in 10.10. May get there soon!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Looks like the quota method will work with os x 10.10. I didn't think zfs quotas worked that way. I thought it would show the entire available pool space and then give a disk full message once the quota was reached. It turns out if I set the quota to say 5GB then finder in mac shows only 5GB available. Perfect. Thanks!

I can confirm that Time Machine correctly sees the quota.

Status
Not open for further replies.