Time Machine not seeing AFP Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zpunky

Cadet
I put this under 'noob' because I am, but maybe this should be under 'Sharing'.
HW: Dell NX3000, 96GB RAM, Perc H700 RAID with 3 LUNs:
1x10GB for OS, 1x6TB for AFP, 1x8TB for iSCSI (all used a independent volumes in FreeNAS).
FreeNas 9.2.1
Mac Clients tried 10.7.5, 10.8.5

I have tried 4 times to set up an AFP for Time Machine following these instructions. No go. The farthest I've gotten is afp://<server> connects and shows two options 'share name' and " 'share name's home' ". No matter which I connect to, neither is available to TM.

Also, if I have the client's TM preferences open, I cannot eject the connected freenas share, I get an error that 'system preferences is using it.' When I close system preferences, I can eject it.

Is this not working because I cannot set any Volume or dataset to 'Share Type' 'Apple'? It always reverts to UNIX.

Also, according to the instructions, Step 4 calls for 'Server Name = freenas', my version (9.2.1) does not have an option for 'server name' in the AFP Service Control.

An entire day wasted on this.

Thanks for feedback!

krikboh

Patron
FreeNAS 9.2.1 had some nasty bugs, but I don't remember if any were AFP related. I would recommend trying 9.2.1.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Does it really matter? You are using hardware RAID with ZFS.

You've made other grave mistakes you should be FAR FAR more worried about than AFP not working...

Zpunky

Cadet
@CyberJock
Well, you certainly get the award for cryptic warnings without actually adding anything to the question at hand.
Nonetheless, I appreciate your input.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Cryptic? You mean, the manual, my noobie guide, the FAQ, and all of our stickes filled with warnings of why NOT to do ZFS on a RAID wasn't enough?

Good luck sir! You are going to have alot of fun with your server!

D

dlavigne

Also, according to the instructions, Step 4 calls for 'Server Name = freenas', my version (9.2.1) does not have an option for 'server name' in the AFP Service Control.

This line has been removed from the docs. Thanks for pointing this out!

diedrichg

Wizard
Cryptic translated: ZFS is not designed to work with RAID cards. ZFS does in software what RAID cards do in hardware. You should not have a ZFS file system on drives connected to a raid card.

diedrichg

Wizard
As for AFP, I recently watched YouTube video highlighting some basic setup steps for AFP. I'll see if I can find it for you later. In the meantime, if you don't need Time Machine, your Mac can easily see CIFS shares too.

Edit:
Here it is - It was produced by the FreeNAS gang. Skip to 4:40 for Time Machine setup.

JaimieV

Guru
TM works fine here, has done for years.

Nothing clever, just set up an AFP share with default values apart from name, path, and tick the Time Machine box. It will then be advertised as a TM share, and TM on the local Macs should see it.

Looks like a pretty corporate NAS box you've set up there, so if the NAS isn't on the same segment as the clients Macs, make sure that the advertising protocol Bonjour/mDNS can traverse from NAS to clients, as well as AFP.

ser_rhaegar

Patron
Looks like a pretty corporate NAS box you've set up there, so if the NAS isn't on the same segment as the clients Macs, make sure that the advertising protocol Bonjour/mDNS can traverse from NAS to clients, as well as AFP.
If it is on a different subnet and bonjour/mDNS doesn't reach it, you can manually add the AFP share (CMD-K in Finder) and then configure TM after mounting the share. Once done, TM will automatically find and mount it in the future when doing backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.