AFP Share with Time Machine checked not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kukiwon

Cadet
Hi all,

I installed FreeNAS 9.2.1 inside VirtualBox lately and I'm trying to configure two Time Machine AFP shares. So I got one hard drive with three ZFS datasets, configured like so:

Screen_Shot_2014_02_27_at_19_23_49.png

I configured my AFP shares this way:

Screen_Shot_2014_02_27_at_19_26_16.png

When I keep the Time Machine checkboxes deselected, the AFP shares show up on all Macs in the house but Time Machine cannot find the shares. So when I check one of the Time Machine checkboxes on either Time Machine Jordy or Time Machine Carina, AFP seems to stop working and give me the following errors:

Screen_Shot_2014_02_27_at_19_30_20.png

Does anyone know what causes this and how I can fix it? Thanks so much!

Jordy

baummer

Dabbler
You said you have your FreeNAS installed in VirtualBox? Has it ever worked via Time Machine? That could be the issue. Additionally, did you install the hack on your OS X machines so that Time Machine can backup to network locations? I don't think it can do it natively, as it is designed for local storage devices.

fracai

Guru
The network hack should only be required for services that can't advertise TimeMachine compatibility (in other words, AFP should be fine).

fracai

Guru
I'm pretty sure. You don't need it to back up to a TimeCapsule and I know I never entered it before backing up my current laptop.

ser_rhaegar

Patron
Really? This hasn't been my experience.
I've never needed any OS X changes to backup to an AFP share on FreeNAS with the "Time Machine" checkbox checked. Or to the Apple Time Capsule.

The only issue I've had is if the share is on a different subnet. I open it the first time via Finder CMD+K, afp://hostname.fdqn then I do my initial backup and subsequent backups work fine. Again, this is if it is on a different subnet/vlan, probably not common for most.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've never needed any OS X changes to backup to an AFP share on FreeNAS with the "Time Machine" checkbox checked. Or to the Apple Time Capsule.

The only issue I've had is if the share is on a different subnet. I open it the first time via Finder CMD+K, afp://hostname.fdqn then I do my initial backup and subsequent backups work fine. Again, this is if it is on a different subnet/vlan, probably not common for most.

Ok.. read his post again.. in bold...

The network hack should only be required for services that can't advertise TimeMachine compatibility (in other words, AFP should be fine).

So naturally, you'd never have that problem since you said you used AFP and he said AFP should be fine.

D

dlavigne

Signal 11 is almost always indicative of bad hardware, usually RAM. How much RAM in the host system and how much virtual RAM was assigned to the VM?

ser_rhaegar

Patron
Ok.. read his post again.. in bold...

So naturally, you'd never have that problem since you said you used AFP and he said AFP should be fine.
I was confirming what fracai said by responding to baummer who said that it wasn't his experience.

Kukiwon

Cadet
Hi all,

Thanks for your responses. I believe it has never worked before. And yes, I tried the network hack (my macbook's Time Machine should be seeing "unsopported" network mounts), but it doesn't work.
@dlavigne: here's some info on my RAM:

Screen_Shot_2014_02_28_at_10_22_26.png

And the Host RAM:

Screen_Shot_2014_02_28_at_10_25_29.png

Is there another way to initialise the AFP to make it TM compatible?

Thanks again,

Jordy

fracai

Guru
Looks like you only have 2GB RAM? That could be a problem.

Kukiwon

Cadet
Yes that's correct. But unless if there's a minimum amount of RAM needed to run AFP with the Time Machine check box checked, I don't really understand why this error is thrown. Also, as I mentioned before, I'm running FreeNAS in a Virtual Machine. Before I had this setup, I had a Time Machine share on that same host system that worked perfectly fine.

fracai

Guru
I'd be nervous that given the recommended minimums for FreeNAS, the system is running low on RAM and causing a problem when the share is accessed.

The only references to error 11 that I can find seem to be fixed by later versions of Netatalk (which FreeNAS is using). Have you tried disabling and restarting the AFP service? Removing and recreating the share?

garth

Dabbler
I'm getting the signal 11 too - and unchecking Time Machine gets rid of the crash in afpd but also stops Time Machine from working. Looks like this is between Netatalk and mDNSResponder and is a known issue and is fixed in 3.1.1.

http://sourceforge.net/p/netatalk/bugs/544/

So Freenas just needs to update Netatalk to 3.1.1 (which is out)

This is on 9.2.1.2 - GUI upgrade from 9.1.

Kukiwon

Cadet
That seems to be the problem indeed. Thanks for the info, garth!
Do you know how to install Netatalk 3.1.1. in FreeNas?

krikboh

Patron
That seems to be the problem indeed. Thanks for the info, garth!
Do you know how to install Netatalk 3.1.1. in FreeNas?

By installing FreeNAS 9.2.1.3 ;)

hungarianhc

Patron
OP, do you have a 32 bit system? Is this the issue in the release notes for 9.2.1.3?

Kukiwon

Cadet
Thanks a lot, everyone! I installed 9.2.1.3 and Time Machine works like a charm! And yes, hungarianhc, I have a 32 bit system.

Status
Not open for further replies.