Does time machine AFP need its own drive, or can it reside in a RAIDz2 zpool with cifs, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

nort

Cadet
I read cyberjock's ppt presentation, but I think my question is so simple/stupid that it falls under the radar of these forums.

I have macs and windows computers in the house, and I would like to build a FreeNAS for Backups (windows and time machine share for each mac) and a Media Server across to be used by all computers. I plan to have 6 3TB disks in RAIDz2. I have read the tutorials on setting up an AFP share and setting up RAIDz2.

My stupid question: Does/will/can the time machine share reside within the RAIDz2 and participate in the RAIDing process with the rest of the stuff that I'm storing? In other words, does the RAIDz2 zPool act as one big storage tank for CIFS, AFP shares, etc? Or does the AFP time machine share need its own properly formatted disk?

I hope this question makes sense. I just recently built my first dual boot hackintosh...now I'm excited about building my own NAS...but I'm starting from scratch again knowledge wise.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Inside your raidz volume you can create datasets and each of those datasets can be whatever you like.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Does/will/can the time machine share reside within the RAIDz2 and participate in the RAIDing process with the rest of the stuff that I'm storing?

That

In other words, does the RAIDz2 zPool act as one big storage tank for CIFS, AFP shares, etc?

And that

Or does the AFP time machine share need its own properly formatted disk?

But not that. Time Machine does some sort of virtual disk thing that looks overly complicated, which is probably why it is relatively fragile.

Regardless, suggest making a ZFS dataset on your pool for Time Machine, and another for general file sharing, or several others, or whatever. This would allow you to control the amount of space allocated for each purpose.

nort

Cadet
Amazing. Thanks to both of you for all of your posts on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.