Interference between jail and afp share

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianwi

Guru
Haha - I'd just tried that! Same result :(

Is fe80::ec4:7aff:fe33:59a2 a valid IPv6 address? From what I'd read I though they were blocks of 4 alphanumeric and the 2nd block has a : at the beginning.

Just looking at the freebsd page for ifconfig and wondered if this would just screw everything, or might least let me reset the IPv4 address in the Setup console?

Code:
ifconfig interface destroy

kb0

Dabbler
fe80::ec4:7aff:fe33:59a2 is the same as fe80:0ec4:7aff:fe33:59a2 repeated zeroes amy be replaced by ::

you might try using fe80:0ec4:7aff:fe33:59a2 in your ifconfig command...

adrianwi

Guru
Just tried with the 0 but no joy.

Thought I'd try without the /64 and a slightly different response:

Code:
ifconfig: ioctl (SI0CDIFADDR): Can't assign requested address

kb0

Dabbler
dunno. if you destroy the interface you will lose your ssh connection for sure. that might clear up the issues you are having with IPMI. I would hook a monitor to the machine and reconfigure the interface from there.

adrianwi

Guru
Ah-ha!

Code:
/sbin/ifconfig/ igb0 fe80::ec4:7aff:fe33:59a2/64 -alias

worked :D

Will reboot and hopefully problem solved...

kb0

Dabbler
I'm really gonna have to learn some BSD soon...Glad to hear you are back in operation. Setting IPv6 autoconfig on the interface completely resolves my problem with jails interfering with afp. It appears that jails are configured by default with ipv6 autoconfig turned on and it is impossible for me to turn that off though the web configurator.

UPDATE: I double-checked and jails are NOT configured by default with ipv6 turned on. I was trying to edit a jail to unset the ipv6 autoconfiguration but you can't do it on a jail-by-jail basis. You have to make the change in the jail configuration tab. When I first defined my jails I must have thought it was a good idea to turn ipv6 autoconfiguration on. This was the source of my difficulties.

Last edited:

adrianwi

Guru
Spoke too soon :(

Rebooted and still can't access GUI and Console setup appears to be stuck in some kind of loop and won't accept any commands to reconfigure the interface. Will try hooking up a keyboard and monitor before resorting to the destroy command :D

Thanks for your help. Wouldn't have even known where to begin!

kb0

Dabbler
rebooting probably just reset the removal of the ipv6 interface that you did with ifconfig. rerun your ifconfig command and do not reboot...can you connect to the gui then??

adrianwi

Guru
You're right, a reboot did reset the IPv6 address, but I'd tried accessing the GUI from the IPv4 address before rebooting and it didn't work.

Might just sleep on it and ask for some more help tomorrow!

Thanks again.

UPDATE

FIXED IT!!!

Just did another quick google for problems accessing FreeNAS webgui and it referred to NGINX. Having set-up owncloud, I knew where to find the nginx.conf file and that was still listening on the IPv6 address. Commented it out and restarted NGINX and BINGO :D

Last edited:

kb0

Dabbler
yeah, that sounds right. congrats!

kb0

Dabbler
My original problem is also resolved by deselecting ipv6 autoconfigure on both my interface and in the jails configuration. Previously my jails were configured to ipv6 autoconfigure and my interface was not.

adrianwi

Guru
After fixing the issue I caused by selecting the IPv6 interface for the WebGUI, AFP and TM have both been behaving perfectly by setting the AutoConfigure IPv6 in Network > Interfaces.

Great fix and thanks for the help last night!

Fraoch

Patron
Unfortunately this hasn't worked for me - I'm not using IPv6 on either FreeNAS or the jail. There's nothing to configure here...

I also tried 'tcpdump -i bridge0 udp port 5353' but I don't have a bridge0 interface. Not being sure what I'm doing, I was hesitant to try the command using igb0, my primary interface. Should I?

adrianwi

Guru
You don't need to use IPv6 on your network, just enable it in the Network > Interfaces tab (I just used the auto configure checkbox).

Has been working for me problem free including regular TM backups.

Fraoch

Patron
Wow, it works just fine! Thanks!

I guessed I missed this rather simple solution in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.