SOLVED OwnCloud Update from 7.0.4 to 8.0.5 - Web Page Blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

clamschlauder

Dabbler
Hello all,

I upgraded through the Admin Control on the //IP/owncloud webpage. Showed that it was going into maintenance mode and not much seemed to happen. My owncloud still works. I assume that it updated. Only issue is that the webpage is now blank. Technically since I cant verify the version through the webpage, I am not sure if it is still on version 7.0.4 or not.

I used J Ruehlig's nice guide to install inside a jail through shell.
I have SSL Certificates setup.

I went through all of the config files in the guide to make sure nothing was overwritten. Some things needed changing but most of it was still the same. I dont have anything important on OwnCloud but I will be dropping Dropbox soon (meaning I am not afraid to do something that might screw up the jail install)

Any hints on where to start would help.

** Seems to be something about apps not being disabled during install according to Owncloud Forums. I dont have any apps installed so this seems weird. One user suggested "A quick fix could be to check your oc_appconfig database table and to set all non core apps to enabled = no, but there are probably better ways to deal with the situation."

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
you might want to try upgrading on the command line to just to make sure everything got completed.
cd /usr/local/www/owncloud
php ./occ upgrade

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
chsh -s /bin/sh www
su www

clamschlauder

Dabbler
Owncloud is already latest version. Should I try uploading 8.1?

I am not in maintenance mode. Version checks as 8.0.5.2.

How do I verify my PHP version?

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Owncloud is already latest version. Should I try uploading 8.1?
I would personally go to 8.1.1
- replace your /usr/local/www/owncloud folder, but save your config/config.php file
- set ownership to www
- run the occ upgrade again

if your still getting the white screen I would double check the configs in the guide. I constantly tweak/update that so a few things have probably changed since 7.0.4. make sure to restart nginx/php after making changes.

clamschlauder

Dabbler
So I got everything to update correctly. One big thing that has helped is understanding the folder structure of the jail. With no experience it is hard to figure out what things are and what they mean, especially when going through the guide somewhat like a robot of just following directions.

Here is what I found, and hopefully this helps someone else.

The location: /usr/local/www/owncloud --> That owncloud folder is the exact folder that is in the update that you download from OwnCloud's website. If you unpack the tar file, thats what it is. Joshua, it took me a while to figure out what you meant by replace.

After I renamed the /www/owncloud folder to owncloud - copy, I unpacked the update file (which is just that folder) and moved it to /usr/local/www/. I did this within windows explorer using 7Zip. Once the owncloud folder was unpacked I took my /www/owncloud - copy/config/config.php and copied it over to /www/owncloud/config/config.php. I renamed the one that came with 8.1.1 to config-copy.php just to have that default copy.

Now comes the tricky part that I dont completely understand why things happened the way they did.

From this point I did what Joshua suggested above... also important to note that when I first ran this command owncloud told me in the shell window that "ownCloud is already latest version."

Code:
chsh -s /bin/sh www
su www

php ./occ upgrade

I had to run the 3rd command 2 times.
First run: Update Failed: Exception: App does not provide and info.xml file
Second run: Update successful

When I ran the code a 3rd time it barked at me and said it is still in maintenance mode. I used
Code:
php ./occ maintenance:mode --off

to turn off maintenance mode. ran occ upgrade again and it says I am latest version.

Most importantly my owncloud webpage is accessible. Yay Hope this is helpful to someone!!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
So I got everything to update correctly. One big thing that has helped is understanding the folder structure of the jail. With no experience it is hard to figure out what things are and what they mean, especially when going through the guide somewhat like a robot of just following directions.

Here is what I found, and hopefully this helps someone else.

The location: /usr/local/www/owncloud --> That owncloud folder is the exact folder that is in the update that you download from OwnCloud's website. If you unpack the tar file, thats what it is. Joshua, it took me a while to figure out what you meant by replace.

After I renamed the /www/owncloud folder to owncloud - copy, I unpacked the update file (which is just that folder) and moved it to /usr/local/www/. I did this within windows explorer using 7Zip. Once the owncloud folder was unpacked I took my /www/owncloud - copy/config/config.php and copied it over to /www/owncloud/config/config.php. I renamed the one that came with 8.1.1 to config-copy.php just to have that default copy.

Now comes the tricky part that I dont completely understand why things happened the way they did.

From this point I did what Joshua suggested above... also important to note that when I first ran this command owncloud told me in the shell window that "ownCloud is already latest version."

Code:
chsh -s /bin/sh www
su www

php ./occ upgrade

I had to run the 3rd command 2 times.
First run: Update Failed: Exception: App does not provide and info.xml file
Second run: Update successful

When I ran the code a 3rd time it barked at me and said it is still in maintenance mode. I used
Code:
php ./occ maintenance:mode --off

to turn off maintenance mode. ran occ upgrade again and it says I am latest version.

Most importantly my owncloud webpage is accessible. Yay Hope this is helpful to someone!!
glad you got it working =]

Status
Not open for further replies.